Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2016

MY TWO MODERN MIRACLES

I'm sometimes religious on Sundays, or, at least many times post on things related to this day of worship for some.  This week I've been able to adjust two modern-day miracles (I'll provide the details at the end of this posting), which I initially introduced in my chapter eight years ago on the Golden Evolution, and, upgraded, in 2014 by adding the McGuire Sisters (Dorothy passed away four years ago, while Christine will soon be 90 and Phyllis is now 85--you just got to watch their greatest hits medley sung just before Dorothy passed away--they certainly did not look like they were all in their eighties--this clip remains as a kind of miracle--to the left, a photo from half a century ago), and a year ago refining the concept back to two miracles:  soap in a bag at the bottom of my bed to prevent leg cramps and the amazingly long life of my razor blade--

Read my chapter on the Golden Evolution in SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity for details, although this blog site serialized the book, beginning with Part 2.  The pages on modern miracles are found here, first written in 2007 when I started my experiment with razor #1.

Yes, these entries were mischievous more than anything else, but the fact that good things were happening without conventional scientific credibility, and, certainly, no divine intervention, captivated me.  For those too lazy to look back, in this last article I also said:
  • A 2010 Pew Research Center report indicated that 79% of Americans believe in miracles
  • To be a Catholic saint, you need to perform two miracles, plus, somewhat discouragingly, the odds of your becoming one is in the range one in 20 million.
  • Americans are high on the religious miracle belief list, with only Cypress and Portugal more beguiled, while Japan (their most popular tourist attraction is the Golden Pavilion) is at only at 19% and Sweden 23%.
  • You think religion is mysterious and unexplainable?  I continue to be astonished that we can only discern 4% of what is real:  scientists say that in our midst are dark energy and dark matter, except that no one has yet seen or detected them.
A miracle is defined as a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws, and is, therefore, considered to be the work of a divine agency.  The Bible provides seven kinds of miracles, and you can read the details.  This explanation differentiates between a genuine miracle and a feigned sign.  You also need a multitude of credible witnesses.  Modern Miracles are addressed, and, among those deemed unworthy are:
  • faith healing and witch doctoring
  • psychosomatic affectations (perhaps 55% of patients applying for medical treatment fall in this category where the problem was mental or emotional, not physical)
  • spontaneous remission (frankly, I've long felt that most Papal miracles fell in this category, for they pray for millions, and a few will no doubt get "cured")
Here is a quote I cite from this article that certainly must dampen the hopes of current saint-seeking individuals:

There is abundant evidence that genuine miracles were performed by divinely appointed persons in the first century, but there is no proof whatever that such wonders are being replicated in this modern age.

I'm especially intrigued with that statement of "abundant evidence" about miracles in the first century.  Much of this recording came to be long after the actual event.

So we now come to today and my two modern miracles.  First, my shaving system was beginning to get downright cruddy.  After many years (four..five...more) of using the same blade, I worried about tetanus or gangrene, so bought a new Schick Quattro:


I went to Long's CVS and spent several minutes trying to figure out how to take the package off the shelf.  As I had not bought anything like this for many years, it turns out that many drugstores now lock up these items to prevent people stealing them.  I had to find a staff member to unlock the section.


Amazingly enough, my new Quattro did not work any better than my very old one.  The blade was till at perfection, after many years.  Thee are numerous articles that indicate if you dry your blades properly after every use, they can last essentially forever.  Turns out I just washed my with hot water and just replaced it on the holder, so don't get carried away with wiping it with anything special.  Then here is another one saying scrape in a different direction and you effectively are sharpening your blade.  Maybe something to this.  Then there is the Infinity Razor ($19.99 from Amazon):

  • The Infinity Razor uses carbon injected steel technology to create blades so sharp they never get dull.
  • Carbon injected steel is fused with tungsten carbide to create the sharpest shaving experience available.
  • Perfect shaves for men and women.
  • Carbon injected razor blades fused with tungsten make The Infinity Razor the sharpest razor
  • Close shaves, durable blades, infinite shaves, giving kissably smooth shaves each time.
Mostly marketing PR, but no doubt, they last a long time.  However, my Schick Quattro is much cheaper, and it uses titanium blades.  People just change blades every so ofter because they think it is about time.  TRY THIS ONCE OF NEVER CHANGING YOUR BLADE AND SEE HOW LONG IT LASTS.  Let me know of your results.

Is this a modern-day miracle?  I think it is.

Let me cite Snopes.com for the soap at the bottom of bed method to cure leg cramps, for it is the accepted website for validating and debunking rumors and stories of questionable origin.  Year after year, they're befuddled.  They do indicate that there are various other means to prevent cramps in bed:

  • Stretching one's calf muscles prior to going to bed.
  • Swearing off caffeine in the evening.
  • Increasing one's intake of potassium, magnesium, calcium or Vitamin E.
  • Sleeping on one's back with toes pointed towards the ceiling.
  • Increasing one's intake of water during the day.
  • Taking quinine (now available only by prescription) or drinking tonic water (which contains small amounts of quinine). It needs be noted that in 2010 the FDA strongly cautioned consumers against using quinine to combat leg cramps because the drug can cause severe side effects, including death.

But, say you do all the above and still get a leg cramp in bed.  What do you do?  Against most common sense, the soap technique works for many.  Some don't need to, I need to actually touch with the cramped portion of my leg the protuberance representing the soap in bag.  It can be a problem if the cramp is way up the leg, so I've thought about placing this soap bag halfway up the bed, too.

The People's Pharmacy now and then touches on this subject, and it spends most of its time trying to indicate that there is something more than psychology at play.  One evidence is that some people need to regularly change the soap, so there must be something physical working.  Nah, that, too, can be your mind at work.  In any case, I  decided to add a second bar of soap to my bottom of bed collection:


So to my bar of soap (don't know what brand was initially used and I did not bother to check) in a United Air cloth bag, and added an Irish Spring in a Crown Royal bag, both attached below the matting, then covered by a sheet.  Lot of cloth in between the soap.  The anecdotal stories are, don't use Dial nor Dove.

So is this a miracle?  It's not a religious miracle, for they disallow psychosomatic causes.  Yet it is incredible that an ailment can be cured by something that cannot be explained by medical science.  So, for now, let me call it my second modern miracle.  Come to think of it, we are all a modern day miracle.


-

No comments: