Total Pageviews

Monday, July 18, 2011

SURVIVAL OR GOLD

I've had a couple of postings on what food to store to best survive the DOOM.  My list mostly included those items that kept for decades.

Some notable bits of info:

  1.  Twinkies do not keep for 50 years.  The shelf life is 25 days, and only because there is no dairy ingredient.  A can of Spam supposedly lasts indefinitely if in good external condition, but the taste might degrade after 3 years, which should not be a big deal if you hate it anyway.

  2.  You got to worry about botulism, but most canned goods and dried foods can be eaten many years after the official shelf life, which is usually from two to five years, although rancidity and other chemical adjustments may make the taste different, and almost always bad.  Just checked my can of Spam, and the "best used by" date expired six months ago.  Decisions, decisions.

  3.  It is surprising, to me, that the average adult eats the equivalent of close to 2 pounds of grain/day and 120 pounds of sugar/year.

A person who knows this subject well, because he just about lives it, is Tom Burnett on the Big Island of Hawaii.  He had an interesting connection today between eating for a year and one ounce of gold, for they cost about the same.  To repeat (with a couple of enhancements) his e-mail to me (and others ) today:


..... $1,606 would buy: 

ONE ounce of August gold (about the size of a quarter) or

39.3 ounces of August silver,or

927 gallons of August light, sweet crude oil (should run your car for two or three years) or

30.3 pounds of Uranium (in enriched form can run a large icebreaker ship for one month) or

Enough non-perishable food to last an adult one year if he (or she) has access to clean water.  http://www.preppers.info/uploads/Food_-_One_Year_Emergency_Food_Supply_For_One_Adult.pdf

What are people buying?  The ones who are going to starve are buying silver and gold.  

Click on the above link because it has some useful information.  In particular, that year of food is for an active 3000 calories per day adult.  If you can conserve your energy, as I would, being stuck in an apartment, this assortment could last a year and a half.  Of course, doom is essentially forever, so at some point I'll need to eventually find my way to Tom's protected enclave on the Big Island and hope he will let me in.  Let's see, now, what can I contribute to his sustainable community to be worthwhile?  Hmmm...that could be a big problem.

For those first 18 months, however, I have the water and general security part of my needs close to being covered because I live on the top of a high building, where tarps can be used to collect rain.  I did talk to him once about having a gun available and will have to re-look into this.  I've not yet bought any survival commodities, for I'm not as concerned as Tom about this looming end, but do have a few tarps ready.  The average rainfall/year over our State is 6 feet, which means that my Nuuanu location should be good for a couple of feet more.  I should be able to purchase several large garbage cans, and have available a safe liner, for many plastics are now on watch lists.

There are, of course, numerous self-sufficiency links, guides on how to form survival communities and means by which to interact with self-reliant groups.  Most of these organizations don't trust any form of organized government, many have arsenals and some have certain religious proclivities.  They have designed for a future with no electricity and transportation fuel.  A few have nothing to do with doomsday, for they just want to live their lifestyle and be left alone.

Me, I maintain hope that this society will, with gasps and travails, struggle on for a few more decades.  My attitude over the past few years, however, has materially shifted toward the gloom, but until I purchase that firearm and go so far as to build a water collection system, I'll hold on to my one ounce of gold and refrain from storing away a critical mass of foodstuffs.  I could, of course, have both.

-

The Dow Jones fell 180 at one point today, but recovered to only -95 at 12,385, while world markets were also mostly down.  Okay, I repeat it again, gold rose to an all-time high, up $12/toz to $1605, while  NYMEX crude is at $96/barrel and Brent Spot at $116/barrel.


-
Typhoon Ma-On was supposed to have strengthened, but instead weakened, is now only at 85 MPH and will further decline.  Lot of rain and some wind for Shikoku and Kansai, but no danger at this time for Fukushima.

By the way, there are three other storms of at least minor note:


  2.  Tropical Storm Bret at 50 MPH has formed north of the Caribbean and moving northeast away from any island or land.


  3.  Two depressions have formed south of Central America, with one projected to slide along the south coast of Mexico and attain Catetegory 4 strength by Thursday:

-

No comments: