The surprise of the above is that Pearl's sunburst bloomed two days ago, two months early:
Well, this is a Sunday, so let me entertain you:
1. The Billboard Music Awards are on ABC tonight (7PM in Hawaii). The finalists for the major categories:
- BBMA Top Artist Finalists –
, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Taylor Swift.
- BBMA Top New Artist Finalists – Justin Bieber, Taio Cruz, Ke$ha, Bruno Mars, and Nicki Minaj.
- BBMA Top Hot 100 Song Finalists – Taio Cruz “Dynamite”, Eminem featuring Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”, Bruno Mars “Just the Way You Are”, Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg “California Gurls”, and Usher featuring Will.I.Am “OMG”.
2. Notably absent from the above list is Adele, today #1 on the Billboard 200 (albums) with 21 and the Hot 100 with Rolling in the Deep. Who is Adele? Well, she is 23 year old Adele Adkins from England. If you never heard of her, she only began singing at the age of 4, had her songs placed on Myspace in 2006, got a call from a record company, and.... She could lose a few pounds, but you will hear more from her, a lot more.
Katy Perry sing "Hot N Cold" with Elmo on Sesame Street, the clip that was cut. Something to do with boobs. She is my pick for best song. [Okay, so I was wrong. I did guess right that we'd survive the Rapture. Who is Taio Cruz, anyway? Oh, he is also from England. The English are returning! Also Cee Lo Green did sing F* You, but changed the wording.]
4. A week from tonight will come the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards. As the Hawaiian category will be dropped next year on the Grammys, Na Hoku now reigns supreme for Hawaiian music.
A Beautiful Life today. This one is a four handkerchief tearjerker from China about dementia, with a possibly happy ending. Only a couple of years ago, there was another A Beautiful Life, made in the USA. Then, of course, there was that Italian Life is Beautiful, about a Nazi death camp, that went on to win three Oscars. In many ways, the first and third films are similar in taking on horrific subjects, yet finding facades of hope. The Chinese version focuses on a more realistic pathway to happiness.
Tropical Storm Four I reported on yesterday is now Songda at 65 MPH, to become Typhoon Songda tomorrow, and should strengthen into a Category 4 storm. Most models show Songda skirting Northern Philippines and heading towards the east coast of Taiwan. This looks like a dangerous storm.
Oh, oh!! Another volcano erupted in Iceland, this one in the southeast called Grimsvotn. The plume is either 7 miles (12 Km) or 12 miles high, depending on the reportage, and heading for the Arctic and parts of Scandinavia. While this episode is not expected to cripple European flights, this volcano kept active for two years from 1783 and is definitely a major event. President Obama's Air Force One will need to be diverted on his way to Ireland, and who knows what will happen to the plume in a week, with signs that Europe could well be affected during the Group of 8 gathering.