Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 26, 2010

WALL STREET

I just saw my best movie this year, Wall Street:  Money Never Sleeps.  This is the sequel to the 1987 original, where Gorden Gecko made famous:  Greed is Good.  The reviews were not particularly good, with Rotten Tomatoes giving it a 56% rating (that's the like percentage), but the film still drew the highest audience this week.  Michael Douglas (with Shia Labeouf) remains mostly greedy, but this Oliver Stone effort was terrific movie-making.  Interestingly enough, this is his first sequel.  I guess I somewhat identified with the theme because this blog partially covers Wall Street economy.

Why I enjoyed this movie:

1.  In back to back sentences, Jake Moore (Labeouf) talks about ocean thermal energy conversion (OTED) and laser fusion, two of my dearest subjects.  He was relating the two to each other, but I missed the logic.  What you see in the film is, of course, pure fiction, as the only contemplated inertial confinement commercial option is heavy ion fusion, and the organizers, close friends of mine, have yet to begin.  Let's see now, Chuck would then be Dr. Masters.  Bob, just what you need:  $100 million to get started.

2.  Sadly, this could well be Michael's final flick, as he is suffering from throat cancer.

3.  The cameos kept coming:  Charlie Sheen, Warren Buffet, numerous CNBC/CNN/Fox Business personalities, and Donald Trump (who was cut, but will be seen in the coming DVD).

4.  Eli Wallach, soon to be 95, was fanatastic.  James Brolin is the younger actor, and primary villain.

5.  Speaking of old, I'm again making a joke of aging actors, but when did Frank Langella (Carey Mulligan plays the daughter of Gekko--and why her, for she is British), begin to look so ancient?  He was only born two years before me.  Yes, he was already ancient in Frost/Nixon (coincidentally, Stone directed the 1995 version of Nixon), but I remember Langella from Dracula, only thirty years ago.


6.  I now have a better sense of what happened to Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers.

7.  I was surprised with the ridiculously happy ending.  But that is probably why Ben Afleck's The Town also drew viewers this week, although dropping to #3.  On this semi-crummy Sunday (in addition to the other stuff, one of my tires went flat), Wall Street 2010 was feel good.

No comments: