I'm not a soccer fan. I've been reporting on the World Cup, but find greater interest in vuvuzelas and vultures. This morning I got up at 3:58AM to take a pee, and on returning to bed vaguely remembered that at 3:30AM America was playing some African team in this competition, so turned on the TV. I guess they start half an hour late, as the game had just began. Five minutes later I fell asleep, but woke up at the 80 minute mark (play goes on for 90 minutes plus any stoppage time). Then I learned that the U.S., still at zero to zero, had to win to remain in the Cup, as England was close to beating Slovakia 1-0. The final group matches are played at the same time (in different stadiums) so the teams don't automatically play for ties if both would automatically get into the next round by doing so. Somebody is thinking, but that was caused by a previous incident.
At some point after the 90 minute mark was reached (stoppage was determined to be 4 minutes), a miracle! Landon Donovan, the best soccer player ever for America, booted in the most significant goal ever for his country. (That's Donovan with what appears to be the ball being hit by his right hand--but that's an optical illusion.) The USA beat Algeria 1-0, and not only made it to the next round of 16, but edged England to win Group C, meaning the team will now face the second place team of the group featuring Germany. You don't want to play Germany. The last time we ever won a group was 80 years ago. Next match on Saturday.
-
The Dow Jones Industrials crept up 5 to 10,298, while world markets were almost all down, the Japan Nikkei dropping 189 to 9924. Gold fell $4/toz to $1237 and crude oil is at $76/barrel.
-
That Atlantic storm is still there, but in the Pacific, the three have dropped to two. Hurricane Celia is turning into a strong one, now at 115 MPH, but soon to surpass 130MPH
Right behind her is tropical storm Darby, already up to 65 MPH. I thought the Atlantic was supposed get all the hurricanes, leaving the Pacific somewhat quiet?
-

No comments:
Post a Comment