It's Saturday. Today, let's forget that there is an oil spill in the Gulf, war in the Middle East, nastiness of politics and the combined hammer of Peak Oil and Global Warming. Here are some good news:
1. Last night I had dinner with my current role model, Ed Jurkens, as mentioned in the Epilogue of SIMPLE SOLUTIONS. He frequently picks me up for golf (because his car has a decal to get into Hickam Air Force Base). Until recently, we walked all 18 holes, ending with a beer. He drops me off and returns home for a martini, while completing the cross word puzzles of both daily newspapers. Well, he turns 93 this year, and is now down to one crossword puzzle (not his fault) and now usually rides a golf cart. Our table at Wolfgang's in Waikiki had a view of the Pan-Pacific Festival. We started with a dry gin martini and shared 42 ounces of New York / Rib Eye, with a jumbo baked potato and Caesar salad. We ate the whole thing and he consumed a lot more than I did. He also paid for the meal, but I did invite him for a Yamazaki single malt scotch at Suntory also located on the third floor of the Royal Hawaiian Arcade.
2. The Pan-Pacific Festival is occurring this weekend. There were several entertainment stages along the blocked off Kalakaua Avenue last night, all featuring entertainment of the Pacific and Orient. Today, a hula festival at the the Duke Kahanamoku statue on Kuhio Beach from 4:30 to 10PM, and tomorrow, a parade through Waikiki from 5 to 7PM. Everything is free, although you need to purchase anything you might want to eat or drink. A year ago this was the last event Pearl and I enjoyed together.
3. The Kamehameha Day parade is also today, from 9AM to 1PM, starting at Fort DeRussy, marching along Ala Moana Boulevard, and ending at Iolani Palace. Remember, they are going from Diamond Head to Ewa (East to West). All this is followed by a hoolaulea (Hawaiian celebration) at the Palace. For those who live in Antarctica or somewhere with connection to the world-wide web, you can live stream the proceedings. Click on this Star-Advertiser article.
4. Abby Sunderland, that 16 year from Los Angeles trying to be the youngest to sail around the world without stopping (go to my Remarkable Women posting on Jessica Watson, another 16 year old), was rescued by a French fishing vessel in the Indian Ocean after losing her mast in a fierce storm.
5. Joran van der Sloot apparently confessed to both murders. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, he is in jail in Peru and will almost surely now be convicted for murdering Stephany Flores, and perhaps, too, Natalee Holloway in Aruba. Case not closed, but looking favorable for justice.
6. If you're American, it was a good soccer day, as the USA tied England at the World Cup.
7. Best of all today, I walked all 18 holes of the Pali Golf Course...carrying my bag.
6. If you're American, it was a good soccer day, as the USA tied England at the World Cup.
7. Best of all today, I walked all 18 holes of the Pali Golf Course...carrying my bag.
8. There are no hurricanes nor cyclones around the world. No earthquakes or tsunamis today. Planet Earth and Humanity doing okay on Saturday, 12June2010.
-



2 comments:
That Ed Jurkens is quite a guy... I should know- I am lucky enough to be his Granddaughter Julie!
I also think he is quite a guy - I am his niece in Michigan - and I have always loved and admired him!
Post a Comment