Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 27, 2010

*HUMAN EXTINCTION

Professor Frank Fenner of Australia pronounced about a week ago that humans would go extinct in a hundred years. The driving cause, he says, is global climate warming.  Well, he is 95 years old.

However, in 2003, Martin Rees, president of the Royal Society (UK), wrote a book, Our Final Hour, where he predicts that there is a 50-50 chance the end of humanity would occur by 2100, again, about a century from publication.  He fears technology, like nanotechnology and bio-terrorism.

I've been tracking doomsday notions for some time now, and in my SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth, arrive at The Venus Syndrome (triggered by global warming) and Blackout, a mega-tsunami wiping out Seattle, or not.  Myself, I'm actually an optimist about the fate of humanity.  However, I participate in a number of virtual forums, where ten to twenty percent of the contributors appear to either have given up on our ability to overcome, and some already live in sustainable communities awaiting the worst.

The dual hammer of Peak Oil and Global Warming, in particular, has inspired these dark visions.  But the real danger is climate change, so I wrote a Huffington Post article on Geoengineering of Climate Change, as one insurance measure.

I can go on and on, but will stop here.  The sky is blue, sun shining and life is great.

-
There are two storms each in the Atlantic and Pacific.  Tropical Storm Alex appears to be heading West to Mexico, not the oil spill region, and both Pacific hurricanes have weakened into tropical storms.

-
Visitors to blog site     43,104

Visitors this week            485

Number of countries        149

-

-

No comments: