Total Pageviews

Monday, June 28, 2010

THE FUTURE OF ENERGY IN HAWAII--Part 1

Dan Bent sent me the following from Jay Fidell:


Just to let you know new videos are available on ThinkTech:
See these and other videos on http://www.thinktechhawaii.com.

Mahalo.  See you there,

Jay Fidell
ThinkTech Hawaii
841 Bishop Street, Suite 1500
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone 
808.566.2105 
I urge you to find some time to view some of these interviews.  If nothing else, I got inspired to overview the current state of energy policy-making for our future.  I noticed a DVD inspired by Representative Mina Morita in Amazon.com.  My SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth provides a lot of background.)
I have two conflicting points of view on this matter.  My gut feeling is that our activity level is woeful, and, once the dual hammer of Peak Oil and Global Warming strikes, our local economy will enter into a long period of depression.  Basically, it is too late!  The other has to do with attitude.  This first is hopelessly negative, and will only tick people off and not much else.  Thus, I also have a hopeful message:  let us work with what we have and do whatever we can to get us off all fossil fuels as fast as possible.  
That said, it would still make sense to combine our strengths towards monumental goals.  We need a total attitude shift for the better, and my Huffington Post article on "The Sustainable Expo for 2020" suggest one such pathway.  Tomorrow, I will offer other directions for consideration.
-
The Dow Jones Industrials edged lower 5 to 10,139, with European markets up and rest of the world down.  Gold almost ended with another record high, but fell $17/toz to $1239.  This precious metal went up to $1258/toz  on June 18, although trading was as high as $1263 that day.  Crude oil is up to $78/barrel, but the swing of Hurricane Alex west should result in lower prices over the next few days.
-
Tropical Storm Alex should attain hurricane strength by tomorrow, but is turning west and will not be threat to the oil spill process.
-

No comments: