Day 61 of the Lower Puna Eruption and the flow continues. Before this activity, the area got 10 tiny earthquakes/day. Now something like 600/day, and some not so small. Today, read about life in Volcano village. Here are some frequently asked questions, with responses from the USGS.
*************
I was interested in who visits this site from around the world, and here is the latest tally as of an hour ago of the ten top countries that have the most links, followed by a few others:
COUNTRY LAST VISIT
USA 12 seconds ago
UK 7 hours ago
Canada 4 hours ago
Germany 9 hours ago
India 23 hours ago
France June 16, 2018
Australia 11 hours ago
plus some other countries
Japan 9 hours ago
Italy 12 hours ago
Thailand 9 hours ago
Indonesia 23 hours ago
Malaysia 19 hour ago
Chile 5 hours ago
European Un. 13 hours ago
Russia 9 hours ago
Switzerland 10 hours ago
New Zealand 10 hours ago
Chile 22 hours ago
Slovenia 56 minutes ago
Tanzania 11 hours ago
Samoa 11 hours ago
Thus, this blog site is in daily contact with a good part of the world. 221 entities (Antarctica, for example, is counted as a domain) have visited SIMPLE SOLUTIONS FOR PLANET EARTH AND HUMANITY.
******************
I've been involved with a series of books since the mid-1970's. First came Solar Wind Handbook for Hawaii, co-authored by Waqidi Falicoff (who was then in the School of Architecture at the University of Hawaii) and George Koide (who was in the Engineering School on the Hilo Campus of the UH). If you go to Amazon, you can actually buy a used copy of this book for $20.09.
Then, one of my classes I taught in Technology & Society was so progressive, that they actually crafted a book that was published through funds from the National Science Foundation. That was the best group of students I ever had. Seventy of them in the mid-seventies, and they also got funded by county governments to present our case on Energy Self Sufficiency for the State of Hawaii to high school classes throughout the state. Fifteen years later I co-authored a paper for Energy published by Elsevier entitled A Case Study of Renewable Energy for Hawaii.
Next in the later 90's was Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion, a textbook published by Wiley, co-authored with Andrew Trenka, for the UNESCO Energy Engineering Learning Programme. You can buy a new copy from Amazon today for $177.30.
This publication was based on a lecture I provided to UNESCO in Paris.
Then, after I retired, I used my campus office to write three books, SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth, SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity, and SIMPLE SOLUTION ESSAYS:
Here is the Star Advertiser's best sellers list for May of ...guess what year?
I've been serializing a first draft of Pearl's Ashes, with the Introduction appearing on 28 December 2016. I'm now up to Chapter 25, La Mer, and there are only a very few chapters left. This will never become a hardback because photos are very, very expensive to publish. But there will be an e-book.
Then, of course, I spent ten days last month developing Six Hours to Seattle (posts in reverse chronological order):
- FIVE HOURS TO LOS ANGELES?
- ALASKA: Earthquakes, Auroras and Cabbages
- THE BEST OF ANCHORAGE
- NOT DOING MUCH IN ANCHORAGE
- SIX HOURS TO ANCHORAGE: The Longest Night?
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Space Needle and Chihuly Gl...
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Victoria
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Seattle is Hot
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Life on the Waterfront
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Hilo and Seattle Okay
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: The Journey Begins
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: The Speculative Science
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Mega Tsunamis
- SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Hint of What is to Come
I'm glad I took that trip because Seattle is no longer a target city. Neither is Anchorage. Perhaps I'll return to Five Hours to Los Angeles, my original title. However the benefit of that trip was that the plot of a mega-tsunami generated by Hilo falling into the ocean has been augmented by a triggering of a mega-earthquake at the Cascadia Subduction Zone, followed by just the right amount of jiggling for the San Andreas to fall into the Pacific Ocean, leading to a mega-tsunami headed for Tokyo. However, that combination is so preposterous that I have placed this effort into a state of gestation to evolve into something more reasonable. Unless Steven Spielberg calls me for a movie script abstract.
That leaves a novel (I'm through with engineering-type books) on the Blue Revolution, or The Venus Syndrome, a worst case scenario for global warming. Here is what this publication might look like, from The Huffington Post. As the mega-tsunami or global warming subjects are too, too apocalyptic, I'm now leaning in the direction of the Blue Revolution, for here, the theme will focus on sustainable development for Humanity in harmony with the natural marine environment. So to answer the question posed above? I don't know.
-
In the East Pacific, Hurricane Fabio will weaken over time and not threaten Hawaii. In the Orient, Tropical Storm Prapiroon will entirely miss South Korea and bring some rain to Japan.
-









No comments:
Post a Comment