Even then, Michigan has not yet officially announced their electoral college results, where Trump got 47.60% and Clinton 47.33%. You think those third and fourth party candidates made a difference?
In a way it is disappointing that so few Americans actually vote for their president:
CANDIDATE POPULAR VOTE PERCENT
1980 Ronald Reagan 43,903,230 19% 24%
2016 Donald Trump 60,963.234 19% 24%
2012 Mitt Romney 60,589,084 19% 24%
2012 Barack Obama 65,446,032 21% 26%
- Only one-fifth of people living in the U.S. pick our president.
- Of course, those under 19 cannot vote, and this age segment amounts to around 20% the total population.
- Thus, only about a quarter of our eligible voters actually select our president.
- Just over 200 million registered to vote this year, and 57 million did not bother to even register.
- Interesting that in 2008 there were only 146 million registered, so the surge in eight years was around 37%. Of new voters
- 42.6% were Democrats
- 29% Republicans
- 28.4% Independents
- Blacks did not vote for Clinton as they did for Obama.
- 71% of Latinos voted for Obama, but only 65% chose Clinton. 6% of Latino votes went to Libertarian and Green candidates. Again, as Ralph Nader cost Al Gore the 2000 presidency, minor party candidates in 2016 might have played a crucial difference. Amazingly, with all the insults tossed their way, 29% of Latinos still voted for Trump.
- White college graduates favored Trump by 4%.
- Whites WITHOUT college degrees (WWOCD) preferred Trump by 39%.
- Incredibly, even though Donald Trump did everything possible to turn off the female gender, 62% of white women WITHOUT college degrees voted for him.
- These are WWOCD who until 2000 were Democrats:
- 2016: R+39
- 2012: R+26
- 2008: R+18
- 2004: R+23
- 2000: R+17
- 1996: D+1
- 1992: D+1
- About whites without college degrees:
Donald Trump will be the next president of the USA. One can hope that our country, Humanity and Planet Earth will prosper... or survive. Americans voted for change, but change can go good or bad or terribly. It nevertheless will be entertaining.