Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

HOW NOT TO BUY A PINK SHIRT

THE QUICKSILVER EDDIE IS A GO for Thursday morning.  As I indicated two weeks ago, first wave will be at 8AM Hawaii time (1PM EST):

... if you happen to be in Honolulu, you will be able to view, live, the whole thing on Oceanic Time Warner Cable channels 250 and 1250HD (the pre-surf program began at 7:30 AM HT).  Othewise, go to:

     http://Quiksilver.com/Eddie
or
     http://WorldSurLeague.com


Now known as Susan G. Komen or Komen, and formerly as The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, I know a bit about this breast cancer treatment organization, for my wife Pearl long ago had breast cancer.  She assisted with the organization, which  began in 1982, the year of her ailment.  There are 100,000 volunteers in 50 countries.  The Komen must now be approaching $2 billion for breast cancer education, research and advocacy.

Anyway I was invited to a Komen reception last week and knew I had to wear pink.  Amazingly enough, with a walk-in closet full of clothes, I had a pink tie, but no pink shirt.  At the gathering, I was about the only person not in pink.

So yesterday I went to the Ala Moana Shopping Center for the second time in a week, and decided to do some exercising by walking up and down the full length of this, the largest outdoor mall in the world.  The last time I did this must have been a decade or two ago.  I thought I would walk in the Diamond Head direction on the second (which is actually the third) floor, beginning at the new Nordstrom's, which opens in March, and return through the first (which is the second) floor.  I might mention that Shirokiya in June is also moving to the Ewa Wing, with their food court, Yataimura to be called the Japan Village Walk, reminiscent of old Kyoto.

I was planning to purchase two pink shirts, no matter what they cost.  However, both short and long sleeve shirts needed to be really, really comfortable.  I started at Bloomingdales, but they don't have much in terms of shirts.  However, I noticed a jogging pants which I thought would be useful for trips.  They even had a tailor in the building who would adjust the length to fit me for a nominal cost.  So, that was $115.  Most expensive pants I now have.  As I need to go back in a week to pick up my fancy pants I think I'll also dine at 40 Carrots for their $45 lobster moco, but, as I am allergic to crustaceans, replace the lobster with a filet.  Anyway, Rule #1 for buying pink shirts:  do not get distracted into buying other things.

After checking out at least a half a dozen shops, I strolled into Gap, where things did not look too promising.  So I walked over to the women's section and saw something that looked comfortable.  It was a long sleeve hoodie which could almost pass for something I could wear.  I noticed a lime green version, so ended up buying two, and at check out picked up a jogging shorts.  Price?  $127.  However, if I agreed to get a free Gap card, they would reduce the cost by 25%, so I ended up with a bill for $95.  Rule #2 for buying pink shirts:  do not get distracted into buying other things.

I continued on to Macy's, which most shopping staffers seemed to agree had the most variety.  However, I had not yet had lunch, and it was 2PM, so I walked into Yataimura for a small spicy miso ramen with a small Kirin.  Price?  Almost $20.  Thus my total bill for one pink shirt now added up to $140:


Great ramen, but my dinner at 15 Craigside was now ruined.  I thought I found an acceptable short sleeve golf shirt at Macy's, but both sales clerks indicate the color was not pink, but salmon.  But on my way back to my car, I noticed the following;


There was a PINK Sale, but at Victoria's Secret.  Interestingly enough, they also sell a few men's stuff, but no pink shirt.  I asked if there were any extra large women's pink shirt, and they practically kicked my out of the store, for, apparently, there are no extra large sizes for women in this store.  I wonder where morbidly obese females go to shop to get these kinds of wear?

So if you ever see me wearing a pink or lime hoodie, that is my story.  I'm still on the market for a real pink shirt.

-

No comments: