Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

GAWA Day #22: Rossini's in Bangkok

I was planning to post today on the purpose of this blog site, which is Saving Planet Earth and Humanity.  However, I had such a pleasant experience last night at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Rossini's that I'll spend virtually my entire posting just on this restaurant.


My Grand Around the World Adventure seems more and more to be focused on Italian cuisine.  First, in Tokyo, I was sent by the Ritz-Carleton to Armani, which was okay, but not spectacular, for the price.  Then in Hong Kong, I had lunch at 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, a similar high-end Italian establishment, #8 on the Pellagrino Best 50 World Restaurants list, and, again, fine, but not memorable.  I have two more Italian stops, Venice and Milan, where the World Expo is coming to an end.

I've been going to Rossini's in Bangkok for nearly two decades.  Every time I stay at this Sheraton, I try to find time for at least one dinner here.  Again, high-end, and not close to Spaghetti Bolognese, which is something I'm actually desiring these days.

So not expecting anything particularly exceptional, for I've been here so often, I began by ordering a kind of Caesar salad and clam pot combination:


with a flight of Chianti (all from Tuscany, Ruffino DOCG, Vecchio Cantina DOCG and Ruffino Riserva Ducale Classico--DOCG is an Italian abbreviation indicating that the winery followed the strictest regulations).


The combination was just perfect.  My second course was a match of a black truffles risotto with garlic butter spinach.  Five years ago in Rome I had my best dish ever, a white truffles risotto.  This black truffle risotto, with all the ceremony and circumstances, rivaled that life highlight.  I've never before seen this, but a piping hot risotto was placed in a Parmesan bowl and stirred.  


One downside is that the rice cools.  In any case, note those black truffles to the right.  One was selected and carefully shaved onto the risotto:


Those brown slices are black truffles.  The black dots are just pepper.  How can truffles be described?  A ridiculously expensive fungus exuding a musky and pungent aroma, slightly crispy like sliced raw potato, and addictive.  When you chew into a piece, the roof of your mouth is instantly attacked, with the aftertaste spreading to the side and back of your tongue, not unlike a fine Chardonnay.  At the end of the meal, the garlic butter spinach was still quite hot.


Comparing Armani, 8 1/2 and Rossini's, the prices were similar, although Rossini's bill was the lowest.  The service here was exceptional.  Nutcha and Wanwisa, who teamed with elegance, efficiency and warmth:


That's also their petit fours finale and a free glass of limoncello.  Heck, they said, why not also have a grappa on the house:


The breakfast here has long been one of my favorites.  The buffet offers too much, really, so if you're on a diet, and I am again, that could be a problem:


Huge salad, ham and eggs, soba, tofu, orange juice, tea...  The hotel always seems to give me this view, this time in something called a Luxury Suite:


The air quality index today continues to be okay, possibly because it rains so much as their Monsoon Season soon comes to a close:

Bangkok AQIBangkok Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI). 
22
Good
Updated on Wed. 9:00
Temp: 32°C
Today, I'm back on my diet.  Then tomorrow, I'll dine at Sirocco on the top of the largest building in Southeast Asia, State Tower, all of 820 feet high, with only the stars above you:


-
Wow, I count nine ocean storms:



No populated region is currently being threatened.

-

No comments: