Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 22, 2015

GAWA Day #37A: Venice to Frankfurt

Hopefully this will be my final stress-event on this trip, but the water taxi from San Clemente Island to the Venice Marco Polo Airport is a trip.  Takes only around 20 minutes, but the speed is absurd.  The boat bounces off waves, tilting as much as 30 degrees, and lands with a death-defying thud, where everything shudders, especially me.  I noticed that my luggage was just a harder bounce away from being tossed over.  This happened at least 50 times.  Where you sit is glass covered, but the sprays flow past over your head.  Finally, finally, I arrive at the airport station, and there is a free luggage cart just waiting for me to use.  The long walk I feared took, maybe, ten easy minutes.  Lufthansa check-in was efficient (I was worried, after going through the Turkish Air experience).  No passport check, of course, and I was up to the Lounge in minutes, composing this posting.

Next, Frankfurt is not one of my favorite cities, but to get to Budapest from Venice, you need to change planes at Frankfurt.  So, this is like a free stop on your around the world ticket.  Plus, if you want to use Eurail Pass, this is an ideal spot to store your large suitcase if you stay at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton.

I remember once when I got off the plane, zoomed through customs (now there is no such area, just like inter island flights), for this was from one European Union country to another, picked up my baggage, took three minutes to walk through the gates, and into the Sheraton (which has been improved) at the airport.  Very convenient.  The train is next door.

At one time, German train workers never went on strikes.  Well, they've had at least nine walkouts this past year.  Lufthansa, of course, regularly suffers from strikes, and more and more, various sectors of the country have had enough.

Italy, of course, is famous for strikes.  However, now, they kind of tell you ahead of time that this will be happening:
October 24, 2015
ENAV and Techno Sky air traffic controllers, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
October 25, 2015
Italo and Trenord trains, 24 hours starting at 9 p.m. the 24th
November 24, 2015
Alitalia and Rome airport staff, 1 to 5 p.m.
December 9, 2015
Airport handlers, all airports, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Let's see now, today is October 22, I'm still at the Venice airport on my way to Frankfurt, so I should be okay.  On the other hand, I am scheduled to fly on Lufthansa today and again on the 24th.
France is also as bad as it gets.  For example, there will be a 32-hour airline strike beginning tomorrow.  Did I say travel is stressful?  There is nothing like the blissful cocoon-like existence of life within 15 Craigside.

I'll continue tomorrow on a one-day tour of Frankfurt.

-
There are three powerful ocean storms.  First Typhoon Champi is at 115 MPH, but heading away from Japan:


Hurricane Patricia has become an incredibly powerful hurricane at 185 MPH and will slam into the region between Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta:


 Hurricane Olaf is at 120 MPH, but moving north and away from Hawaii:


Last year was the hottest on record.  Last month was the warmest September ever, and 2015 will be much higher than 2014:

.

Hurricanes will only get worse.  COP21 begins next month in Paris.  Let me predict that there will be continued dawdling.



-

No comments: