Also in Europe, now that Ukraine has lost Crimea, but Scotland failed to attain independence, can Catalonia (Catalunya--that small brown blob in the middle)) succeed in seceding from Spain? Traveling through that region, you can sense that urge. From the bitter rivalry between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid (#1 in soccer) to the non-binding referendum scheduled for November 9, action is picking up. But let me go on record for saying that this won't happen, as it is illegal for any entity to split from the country. Same for Texas. Remember the Civil War?
- The world's best female chef is Helena Rizzo of Mani in Sao Paulo, Brazil. That's her above.
- The best in Sao Paulo, though, is DOM, with sustainable pacesetter Chef Alex Atala.
- #13 is Nahm and #17 Gaggan...in Bangkok! It is said that Gaggan is THE BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD!!! I guess I'll need to try it when I get to Bangkok in November.
- The highest rated from the Orient is Narisawa at #14, where I had lunch last year with President of Nokodai, Tadashi Matsunaga, and his wife.
- The only other restaurant from Japan on this list is Nihonryori RyuGin at #33. The same day I had dinner there, my lunch was created by Jiro himself, who has a Michelin 3-Star sushi bar next to the Ginza Station: