Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

COI: One of Two Best Restaurants in San Francisco

The Seasteading Conference is over, except there is a cruise dinner left.  So, as I was walking to the pier, it occurred to me that Coi, the #58 rated restaurant in the Pellegrino Best 100 in the World and a Michelin 2-Star awardee, was only a couple of blocks away.  There are no 3-Star locations in the City and four with 2-Stars.  (I two nights ago had dinner at another 2-Star, Benu)  I've long wanted to try Coi, but it is closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and does not serve lunch.  So at 5:40 PM on this Saturday I barely found the place, for, while on Broadway, the door is not that obviously the restaurant.  I poked my head in, indicated that I have been traveling the world to dine at Michelin 3-Stars and they graciously gave me the best table in the whole place.  Really!   Remember, this is Saturday night.

The decor was upscale and service impeccable.  I ordered their 12 course special with wines selected by my server, Brian Gavin.  The chef is Daniel Patterson.   Never went to culinary school and did not train under the best.  He just opened his first eatery in Sonoma at 25 and went from there.  There is terrific teamwork and the tip of 18% is just placed on your bill and shared, but they alert you to this.

Some puffed rice and avocado came with a Harushika Happo Junmai sake from Nara, Japan:


The first serving was a Mandarin Sour:


The second course was  an oyster dish:


Note the artistry.  The dishes reminded me of DOM in San Paulo, #4 on the Pellegrino list..  Then a simple beet salad:


Next a chilled English pea soup with a Hirsch Gruner Veltliner Niersteriner Bruckchen from Rheinnesser, Germany, a crisp white:


Course #5 was a grilled crawfish over artichoke:


#6 was an excellently prepared Monterey Bay abalone:


#7 was not fired egg, but egg, nevertheless, very special:


My third drink was a Peay Pinot from Sonoma, accompanied by a young duck in two servings:


They were both spectacular.  The servings are small, so I could eat everything.  Then came a series of desserts with La Montecchia Fior D'Arancio Mosato from Veneto, Italy:


Grapefruit 2006, Blueberry something or another and frozen lime marshmallow.  At the end a sheep milk cheese with a fabulous crust:


Then a honey almond wafer cookie at the end, which I had with some coffee.  I slowly walked back to the Le Meridien.   It was not quite dark, so I felt safe.  Cost?  Could have been worse.  I definitely recommend Coi for those who want the latest California fusion cuisine infused with Spring vegetables, and can afford it.

-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow food is looking so yummy in pictures. I surely want to taste these food items from the San Francisco restaurants. I will be waiting for that day.