Total Pageviews

Friday, November 12, 2010

MY BEST DINNER ON THIS AROUND THE WORLD ODYSSEY

It was below freezing outside, so, I went downstairs to dinner at Julius Fritzner, a French-Norwegian fusion restaurant that is now 136 years old.  Fritzner opened the Grand Hotel then.  I modified their three course dinner to delete dessert.

I had a Domaine Michelot Meursault 2006 wine with the free amusements (above):  goat cheese mousse, tempura blue cheese and cream cauliflower soup.  This was followed by a salad of duck confit and salad with pomegranate.

Next was the sauteed sterling white halibut with the essence of tarragon fume.

A Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo 2005 was served with pan roasted filet of elk with creamed cauliflower, which is now in season.  Serving me was the chef himself, Patrick O'Toole, of Minnesota.

We had a nice chat, and he talked me into his special dessert, which was toffee pudding and macadamia nut ice cream from Hawaii.  I had this delicacy with a St Halvard liquer from Norway.

Everything was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  I mentioned to Patrick and Joakim (Hoff, the Maitre d'Hotel) that this meal was even better than the one I had at Noma, the #1 restaurant in the world.  Two Patricks:


-

2 comments:

Sabrina F. said...

Wow, the menu sounds astonishing and the pictures are incredible! I wish I could eat at the Fritzner too, but it's pretty far away from California. Have you seen Patrick O'Toole's food blog? If not, you should check it out: http://chefpatrickotoole.blogspot.com/

Patrick Kenji Takahashi said...

Sabrina...thank you so much for commenting. You are so rare. I get all kinds of responses to my Huffington Post articles:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-takahashi/

but oh so few provides input to my daily blog. As about a hundred each day looks at it...from up to 156 countries, I'm, frankly, puzzled.

Aloha.