Let me start with the entertainment part. My ignorance probably can be explained by my relative color or ethnic blindness, enhanced by growing up in Hawaii, where there is insularity and a higher sense of racial tolerance. As a junior in high school I was not aware of terms such as civil rights and jewishness. A few years later in college I was asked by a girl I was dating what a Jewish person looked like. I had recently seen the film, Exodus, dealing with the founding of Israel, and a Jewish girl was played by Jill Hayworth, who was blond. I thus responded that Jewish females must have blond hair. For all I know, that girlfriend could have been Jewish. I still don't know.
Thus, not to have noticed that all those popular broadway shows having Jewish songwriters should not have been particularly astonishing. I watched "A Jewish Legacy" on public TV and was finally educated. South Pacific is my favorite show, and to find out that both Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rogers were Jewish was enlightening. It was explained that Hammerstein in particular was portraying anti-semitism analogously through the racism shown in the show/film, and I finally understood why he was so much the pioneer in bringing light to these issues. Then to learn that the following were also Jewish, amazing:
Harold Arlen, Burt Bacharach, Jerome Kern, Carole King, Alan Jay Lerner, Frank Loesser, Melissa Manchester, Marry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Anthony Newley, Sigmund Romberg, Carole Bayer Sager, Dorothy Fields, Bob Dylan, Neil Sedala. Carly Simon, Art Garfunkel, Stephen Sondheim, Lorenz Hart, Billy Joel, Victor Young, George Gershwin....
In my maturity, some are obvious, but I never ever associated their name with any ethnicity. Interestingly enough, Cole Porter, who is not Jewish, only succeeded when he slightly adjusted Jewish tunes. It could well be, then, that the key to broadway songwriting success goes back to old Jewish songs. There is a book on this topic: Jews on Broadway.
Finally, the most popular Christmas songs are written by Jews: White Christmas (Irving Berlin, right)), Silver Bells (Jay Livingston and Ray Evans), The Christmas Song (Mel Torme), Let It Snow (Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne), Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Johnny Marks) and I'll be Home for Christmas (Walter Kent, Kim Gannon and Buck Ram). All Jewish.
The 20th century list of Nobel Prize winners makes Twain’s words almost prophetic. Jews, more than any other minority, ethnic or cultural, have been recipients of the Nobel Prize, with almost one-fifth of all Nobel laureates being Jewish. They make up 0.2 percent of the world population, but 54 percent of the world chess champions, 27 percent of the Nobel physics laureates and 31 percent of the medicine laureates. Jews make up 2 percent of the U.S. population, but 21 percent of the Ivy League student bodies, 26 percent of the Kennedy Center honorees, 37 percent of the Academy Award-winning directors, and 51 percent of the Pulitzer Prize winners for nonfiction.
The second part dealing with academia is particularly a shock to me. There is a stereotype that all Jewish people are smart and successful. APPARENTLY NOT!! Using Orientals as an example. I've noticed that the first generation of immigrants from Asia do very well. In the next generation of children there is a decline, and by the third, they become almost average. Seems that this is also happening to Jews. The following presentation is my attempt at selecting highlights featured in two articles, reviewing information from a wide assortment of books on the subject.
- At ILSs white students have mean scores 310 points higher than black classmates (in terms of the 1600 max college board scores), but Asian students averaged 140 points higher than whites.
- Texas, with only 3.8% Asians, more than 25% were National Merit Scholarship semifinalists.
- The Math Olympiad has averaged 58% Asians during the past 13 years, Computing Olympiad showed 75% Asians this past year and Chemistry Olympiad average for the past decade has been 90% Asians.
- The national Jewish population of college age is less than 2%. Harvard students today are 25% Jewish and 20% "traditional whites." Yale and Columbia also have 25% Jews, but as low as 15% Gentiles.
- Ivy League enrollment: 4% of all Jews living in America, 1% of Asians and 0.1% of Christian Whites.
- Take California: with 3.3% of the population, 4-5% of National Merit Scholars (NMS) are Jewish; the 13% Asians garnered 57% the NMS awards.
- In New York, with 8.4% of the population, 21% of NMS; the 6% Asians got 34%.
- All things considered, there should be five Asians for every Jew in Ivy League Schools, and at Caltech there are 5.5% Jewish students and 39% Asians, while in the five most selective California universities, 8% Jewish and 40% Asians. Not so for the Ivies, where the Jewish population is 40% higher.
- During the 1970's, well over 40% of the top Math Olympiad students were Jewish. Since 2000 only 2.5% have been Jewish.
- The most prestigious mathematics competition for American college students is the Putnam Exam. Prior to 1950, 40% of winners were Jewish. Since 2000 this percentage declined to 10%, but not one Jewish name in the top 40 students over the past seven years.
- Regarding the Science Talent Search (once called Westinghouse, now Intel), which has been awarded since 1942, Jewish students got more than 20% of the prizes through the 80's, which declined to 15% in the 2000's, but in 2010 was only 7%. Then, more recently, only one Jew among 30 awardees.
- In the Physics Olympiad, from 25% in the 1986-1997 period, down to 5% during the past decade.
- There has been no Biology Olympiad Jew the past three years and zero also for the Chemistry Olympiad the past two years.
- To quote: "Taken in combination, these trends all provide powerful evidence that over the last decade or more there has been a dramatic collapse in Jewish academic achievement...
- The suspicion is that Jewish students today are not as diligent in work habits. Those that did well in more recent academic olympiads were immigrants from the Soviet Union. Thus, the situation is even worse for "American" Jews.
- The "white" race has also academically collapsed!!!
- By 1993 Harvard, Yale and Princeton all had presidents of Jewish ancestry.
- The three most recent Harvard presidents have either Jewish origins or a Jewish spouse.
- The incoming Yale president is Jewish.
- While the current Princeton Provost (sort of a #2 in administration) is not Jewish, the previous seven were, and the situation is similar at all the ILSs.