Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

THE PEAK OF MY LIFE

What can be better than walking 9 holes at the Ala Wai Golf Course.  With me were Paul Yuen and Pepper Shiramizu.  Paul was a past dean of engineering at the University of Hawaii and Pepper was for a long period secretary to the University of Hawaii Board of Regents.  Both Paul and Pepper have had some challenging health problems the past few years, so golfing with them was pure joy.

I then returned home, took a long bath with a Yoichi 20 year old on rocks, the BEST SCOTCH in the world.  I then went to my roof and had a butter yaki of a Costco rib eye with sweet Maui onions and string beans, some Castello blue cheese and a glass of Stanford Alumni Governor's Selection Ridge Line Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.


It was sunset, so I had a special La Aroma de Cuba Churchill cigar with a Louis XIII cognac to watch the stars.  I listened to my iPod music via a Bose wireless speaker.  Just as the Moon appeared (three days before full), on came Honolulu City Lights with the Beamer Brothers, Pearls favorite song.  The next, and this is on shuttle, so the sequence is random, was Hanohano Hanalei by Bunny Brown and the Hilo Hawaiians, which took me back to Kilauea, Kauai in 1962, exactly half a century ago.  Then, Ginza Kan Kan Musume, one of my favorite songs, which I can't sing, but  which Tadashi Matsunaga's (president of the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology) Mamasan at his favorite Ginza bar in Tokyo sang to perfection.  This song was popular just after World War II, and brought me back to my youth.  Two more photos:


This was that perfect moment when memories flooded back.  Life cannot get any better.  I'm healthy, with no worries and will be golfing this morning.  I'm surely in heaven and life can't get any better.  I'm at the peak of my life.


-

Also good news, Typhoon Saola is now at 75 MPH, and will strengthen, but is now appearing to just skirt north of Taipei, turning left and making landfall over Wenzhou, reasonably south of Shanghai and Zhoushan, where I have a lot of colleagues:


-

No comments: