...when Pearl passed away. The following day the Huffington Post included my article entitled "Gratitude...Not Grief." We had a celebration of her life, and repeated this on the Big Island in 2010 and 2011.
I should have been crushed by her death, but, to my surprise, find myself mostly thanking her for giving me a fulfilling final stage of my life. After 47 years of marriage, this new experience of total independence has been unexpectedly exciting and pleasurable.
This year I decided to celebrate her life by taking a simple walk past Kuakini Hospital:
I walked the half mile and back a couple of times each day during that five week period three years ago. This is the first time I have done this since then (I even avoid driving by). I lost eleven pounds during that ordeal, but have mostly gained all that back, so this walk today will hopefully be the beginning of my attempt to reduce my weight by a few pounds. My BMI is 24.8, so that is actually okay, but on the high end.
Nancy Kelly sent me a note indicating that she saw a yellow blossom in her yard on July 11, Pearl's birthday, but the photo she took was not properly focused:
The campaign to plant the Gold Tree along the Ala Wai Canal on the golf course side is progressing well. I have left Pearl's ashes at more than 15 sites now, the most recent at the site in Japan of a statue that looks like strikingly looks like her:
Well, I need to get on with the rest of my life, so, goodbye Pearl.
-
I should have been crushed by her death, but, to my surprise, find myself mostly thanking her for giving me a fulfilling final stage of my life. After 47 years of marriage, this new experience of total independence has been unexpectedly exciting and pleasurable.
This year I decided to celebrate her life by taking a simple walk past Kuakini Hospital:
I walked the half mile and back a couple of times each day during that five week period three years ago. This is the first time I have done this since then (I even avoid driving by). I lost eleven pounds during that ordeal, but have mostly gained all that back, so this walk today will hopefully be the beginning of my attempt to reduce my weight by a few pounds. My BMI is 24.8, so that is actually okay, but on the high end.
Nancy Kelly sent me a note indicating that she saw a yellow blossom in her yard on July 11, Pearl's birthday, but the photo she took was not properly focused:
The campaign to plant the Gold Tree along the Ala Wai Canal on the golf course side is progressing well. I have left Pearl's ashes at more than 15 sites now, the most recent at the site in Japan of a statue that looks like strikingly looks like her:
Well, I need to get on with the rest of my life, so, goodbye Pearl.
-



No comments:
Post a Comment