There are some of you who regularly consume a large hamburger, downed with a Coke, and take a vitamin pill or some sorts to top the meal off. The latest no-no's are red meat, sugary drinks and supplements. To underscore my warning, I went so far as to order the meal you see above. There were even two slices of bacon. (Incidentally, I was having lunch with Gordon Dugan, world famous long distance runner who ran eight 100 mile marathons. He completed the first 37 Honolulu Marathons. We occupied adjacent offices in Holmes Hall when we were in the Civil Engineering Department at the University of Hawaii, and team-taught Environmental Engineering. Note Diamond Head in the background. My photo at the top was taken a few feet from our table.)
Apparently ANY red (beef, pork, lamb, etc.) meat, especially processed varieties (like hot dog), is bad for you. A comprehensive study (110,000 adults over more than 20 years) indicated just one 3 ounce serving (about the size of a deck of cards) daily increased your chance of death by 13%. Then if that was, say, steak, you also had two slices of bacon (this combination is a staple for many Americans and Europeans), your chances of dying increase to 20%. On the other hand, if you avoid beef and pork, and instead ate nuts, you live 19% longer--a 14% benefit comes from chicken and whole grains--low-fat dairy and beans extend your life by 10% --fish by 7%.
What happens with a regular diet of these toxic meats? Well, you get diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Why? It seems that this type of food introduce toxins such as saturated fat, iron, nitrates (preservative) and the chemicals created by cooking. So why did I order that lethal hamburger above, especially one with bacon and french fries? Just to have a photo to show at the head of this posting. If I ate this dish daily, I would not last long. I might have it once a year (at least at the Halekulani). As I've always said, I live to eat.
"Men who drink one 12-ounce can of a sugar-sweetened beverage each day have a 20% higher risk of developing heart diseas than those who don't or who indulge only occasionally, according to a study released Monday by the American Heart Association." Mind you, if this applies to men, I wouldn't ignore the implications if you happen to be of the female variety. Should this be cumulative or additive, that meal pictured above would then mean you would reduce your future life expectancy by 40%. What is bad about these drinks has to do with obesity, which has doubled among Hawaii adults from 10.8% to 22.9% between 1995 and 2009. I HAVE THUS INSERTED ABOVE A PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE ON OBESITY provided by Tony Shin.
Finally, I have friends and family convinced that supplements are the optimal way to a healthy life. They support a $34 billion/year industry, which can afford to plant stories and advertise like mad. While I got talked into taking high blood pressure and cholesterol pills by my doctor (his logic overwhelmed my common sense), that's about it. I don't bother with aspirin, vitamins, etc. Well, the latest headline is: "Taking vitamins taxes wallet and possibly health." I earlier on 12November2011 posted an article here entitled:
While, of course, there are very special circumstances when you absolutely need to complement your meals because of body dysfunction, pregnancy, the environment, your particular lifestyle and the like. The quote of the day is from Karen Novak: "It is often said that Americans have the most expensive pee in the world." There is a quick fix culture today with no time to eat right. A well balanced diet is the ideal pathway to good health.
Finally, since Pearl passed away a couple of years ago after a month in intensive care, I've avoided hospitals. Now, especially so, for according to the March 2012 AARP Bulletin: the number of patients who die each year from hospital errors is equal to 4 jumbo jets crashing each week.
Finally, since Pearl passed away a couple of years ago after a month in intensive care, I've avoided hospitals. Now, especially so, for according to the March 2012 AARP Bulletin: the number of patients who die each year from hospital errors is equal to 4 jumbo jets crashing each week.
-
The Dow Jones Industrials nudged up 16 to 13,194, with world markets mixed. Gold further dropped $32/toz to $1643, while the WTI Cushing Spot is at $105/barrel and Dated Brent Spot at $125/barrel.
-
Tropical Cyclone Lua (means outhouse in Hawaii, but I don't think the name came from here) already at 70 MPH, just popped up in northeast of Australia, and will attain Category 2 status before running into the continent near South Hedland as soon as Friday.
-
Tropical Cyclone Lua (means outhouse in Hawaii, but I don't think the name came from here) already at 70 MPH, just popped up in northeast of Australia, and will attain Category 2 status before running into the continent near South Hedland as soon as Friday.
-






No comments:
Post a Comment