Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012

BIG BAND VOCALISTS


How would you like to wake up to the rainbow above.  I did, so I thought I'd take advantage of this omen to enjoy Honolulu.  So here is a posting I put together a little while ago, and begin by expressing my gratitude to PBS.  In particular, I enjoy recording those nostalgic music programs.  I say recording, because those fund-raising efforts are not exactly my idea fun.  However, I have contributed in the past and will continue to in the future.  This is my enhancement of:


Mind you, this era was before my time, but I'm sure some of you older than me might want to click on the various performances. This version was well moderated by Peter Marshall  (you might remember him from Hollywood Squares) and Nick Clooney (father of George and brother of Rosemary--see below).

The program with my additional comments include:

I Had the Craziest Dream” — Helen Forrest with Harry James Orchestra.  Forrest began with Artie Shaw in 1938 and recorded "All the Things You Are."  Reportedly, she sang for a song as she was infatuated with Harry James.  But he married Betty Grable.  Forrest recorded 500 songs.

Why Don’t You Do Right” — Peggy Lee with Benny Goodman Orchestra. The song sold a million copies and made her famous in 1943.  In 1948 came "Manana," and who can forget "Fever," "Lover" and "Mr. Wonderful."
Night and Day” — Frank Sinatra.  His first #1 hit was "I'll Never Smile Again" with the Pied Pipers and Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.  Sinatra started with Harry James in 1939, who approved of the move to Tommy Dorsey, where fame was gained. If you look closely, the female with the Pied Pipers is Jo Stafford.  They performed  It Started All Over Again."  Stafford first met Paul Weston in 1938 when they were with Tommy Dorsey.  In 1951 she sang "Jambalaya," and in 1952 wed Weston.  In the late '50's they anonymously released a spoof album of Jonathan and Darlene Edwards, where everything was purposefully off key.  There were many who thought the duo were Harry and Margaret Truman.  I loved this album, and overplayed it in Toyon Hall during my Stanford days.

The Andrews Sister, with one of the Three Stooges (Shep Howard--by the way, the latest version of them will be coming to your home theater very shortly), performed "Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree” with the Harry James Orchestra

Then came I’ll Dance at Your Wedding” with Buddy Clark and the Ray Noble Orchestra, followed by "Green Eyes" featuring Helen O'Connell (right) and Bob Eberley with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra.

Dick Haymes sang "You Send Me Right Out of This World" and Alice Faye, "You'll Never Know, the 1943 Academy Award Song.  She married Phil Harris.

 




Perry Como sang "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now" with the Ted Weems Band in 1939.  Yes, he first worked as a barber for four years, until the age of 14.  His final #1 hit was "And I Love You So" in 1973.  He passed away in 2001 at the age of 89.

Doris Day sang "It's Magic."  She made her film debut with this song in 1947 in "Romance on the High Seas."  I loved her "Sentimental Journey" with the Les Brown Band of Renown, selling 5 million copies. She made 650 recordings just with Columbia.  She's 87 and the media occasionally reports on her.


Ella May Morse in 1942 sang "Cow Cow Boogie."  She was hired by Tommy Dorsey at the age of 14, but was fired because he thought she was 19.  Her cow song came after she left Dorsey. Her biggest hit a decade later was "Blacksmith Blues."  Tex Benecke did "Somebody Loves Me."  After Glenn Miller disappeared in 1944 he later led the Glenn Miller "ghost band."  Is this the same Tex Beneke associated with toilet seats?

Dinah Shore sang "Blues in the Night" with the Duke Ellington Orchestra.  She might have been the first solo singer (as opposed to being linked to a more famous band) of her era and had 80 charted hits in the 40's and 50's, with "Buttons and Bows" especially popular in 1948.  Bob Hope sang this song in "Son of Paleface."  She had flirtations with Gene Krupa, James Stewart and General George Patton ,then marrying actor George Montgomery.  She married again, but then dated comedian Dick Martin, singer Eddie Fisher and actor Rod Taylor.  She had a long association with Burt Reynolds, who was 20 years younger, and later had flings with Andy Williams and Dean Martin.  What a life!

Bob Crosby did "Big Noise Blew In from Winetka" and Rosemary Clooney sang "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm."  Nat King Cole and Tony Martin did "On the Sunny Side of the Street."








June Christie backed by Stan Kenton sang  "Tampico."  I remember his daughter as my freshman classmate.  Louis Armstrong did "I Can't Give You Anything But Love," and Kate Smith ended it all with Irving Berlin's "God Bless America," with Ronald Reagan making an appearance.
Return next weekend for my tribute to PBS's 60's Pop, Rock and Soul, music closer to my times.
-

No comments: