Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 3, 2011

SINATRA, KEY CLUB, 1959...at the Sheraton Sukhumvit

It was more than half a century ago that Frank Sinatra sang at the Key Club in Los Angeles, accompanied by Nelson Riddle on the piano, Buddy Rich on the drums and others.   They all earlier were with Tommy Dorsey.  Peter Lawford was there...or was this all a fantasy?  

Well, opening night of "Frankly...I was a Fool for Love," with Richard Shelton, who almost looked like Sinatra, and almost sang like him, was a wonderful success at the Sheraton Sukhamvit.  Shelton has played Sinatra on various gigs, mostly in Las Vegas and the UK.  The evening started for me with free drinks at Bar Su and The Library.
Dinner followed at Rossini's, a three course Italian, starting with a warm burrata cheese salad with tomato sauce, black olives and carasan bread, then on to a grilled beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and truffles sauce.  I couldn't quite figure out what the taste/smell was, sort of like sweat, until I realized this was truffles.  Amazing what an expensive ingredient can do to your attitude.  A 2007 Terrazas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon ( California,14%, $26) was served.  

Then came an incredible hot chocolate foam over rum crushed ice:



I was shown to my table, at the very end of the room, because I made my reservations only hours before.  So, more as a joke, I asked if there was anything closer.  My waitress proceeded to wheel my table to the front, and I became the front row.   I was so astounded I did not have the reaction time to help her.  I noticed a bottle of Jack Daniels on the set, so I asked for the same over ice.  The show, in the Living Room, was almost filled, and the experience was electric.  Shelton sang 15 Sinatra songs, laced with the mystic appearance of Ava:
The group behind Sinatra was composed of Nelson Riddle on the piano, Bobby Brown on bass and Buddy Rich playing drums.  Lawford moderated.

An hour and a half later, the program concluded, and as Shelton walked off the stage, he asked me if I wanted anything else, so I asked for "My Way."  As an encore, he complied.  Great show!

No comments: