Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

RETURN TO TOKYO

Well, it is Day 12 of the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, and I'm on my way back to Narita Airport, wondering if services have improved.  I read that that there is a mob of people wanting to get out of Japan.

My Asiana flight was very enjoyable, but there are so few passengers.  I've never seen anything like this for a long time.  Well, might as well enjoy life as I can until I get there.

We started with a Cartier Brut Champagne, and I added a Makgeolli Korean Rice Wine (7%) with my meal, Saambab, a make your own vegetable sandwich.  Basically, you pick up a large leaf, lay on some rice, dip kim chee or another vegetable into a bean/nut paste, pile on some bulgogi (Korean barbeque) and stuff it into your mouth.  The first few were disasters, as I shared the food with my napkin, shirt, floor...  By the fourth attempt, I figured out that you add less food, shape it into a ball and place the open end into your mouth as one piece.  After four days in Seoul, this was my first authentic Korea meal.  All the others were Korean fusion cuisine, plus a gigantic hamburger.

I then had a Camus X.O. Cognac and cappuccino/Bailey's Cream:


And finished with a Ballantine 17 year scotch:


I checked through immigration very quickly, and was deliriously happy to see that the Airport Limousine service was re-activated, with only a 20 minute wait for the next bus.  It was freezing cold outside.  I could blow smoke rings with the condensate.  It was raining, and my first thought was that all that radiation fallout would be cleaned out of the air.  My second thought was that the radiation is now on the ground and I could get radiation toes.

I made to the Tokyo Westin.  Half the restaurants are closed and the occupancy rate is 12%.

-