Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2011

MY BEST CHINESE LUNCH, EVER


I asked the Concierge for a recommendation of the best lunch spot in Singapore.  After some checking, she suggested Taste Paradise at their relatively new ION Orchard, which is now the highest rated mall in the country.


My first set was with a Tiger Draft and Johnny Walker Black Label scotch, which mostly went into the double boiled shark fin dumpling soup.  In addition, I had steamed Shanghai pork dumpling with foie gras and crackling pork belly:

The pork belly had a delicacy and lightness not found in Honolulu.  Certainly, not the best from a health standpoint, and yes, there is some guilt about that fin, but, I did present the shark point of view and the unfairness of this matter in one of my earlier blogs, which I requote here:

A decent bowl of shark fin soup in Hong Kong costs $100/bowl.  Seventy three million sharks are annually killed just for this dish.  Only the fin is generally kept, the body is tossed back into the sea.  In comparison,over the past 339 years, sharks have killed 49 Americans (only one in 2008).  Hawaii is the only state to ban this commodity.

For my second set, I had a Kir Royale with braised abalone on pan seared foie gras, accompanied by choy sum (or was that bok choy?), with a sweet corn soup:



I almost made a mistake of ordering another abalone, which looked like it said $12, but that was per ten grams, and the average size was 180 grams, so I would have paid $216 just for that dish.  But after some discussion, the above version was suggested for a more affordable price.  However, I remember growing up cutting a thin slice of dried abalone, and this piece today had the exact same taste, something that is not so for the ones you now get from the Natural Laboratory Laboratory of Hawaii Authority.

I said goodbye to the staff on the left for a job well done.  I gave them my card and urged comments to my blog.  Students from Singapore and Shanghai are the smartest in the world.

My best Chinese lunch, ever, ended with some jasmine tea.  Want to guess what this cost?  With three alcoholic drinks, tax and tip, the whole bill added up to $84.  Will there be a better lunch in Beijing?  Stay tuned.

On the way out I noticed a Din Tai Fung, one of that famous Shanghai restaurant chain that serves those famous Shanghai dumplings.  I then largely walked back to my hotel:



-

No comments: