From Worldometer, COVID-19 new deaths:
DAY USA WORLD Brazil India South Africa
June 9 1093 4732 1185 246 82
July 1 676 4857 1057 438 92
5 251 3572 535 421 173
7 993 5504 1312 479 192
12 380 4118 659 500 108
14 935 5414 1341 586 174
15 1001 5760 1261 614 107
19 412 4606 715 675 85
21 1119 5669 1346 671 195
22 1205 7128 1293 1120 572
26 450 4307 556 715 114
28 1266 5589 955 776 190
30 1485 7023 1544 779 240
31 1465 6418 1189 783 315
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
2 1123 5601 1048 852 148
3 467 4430 514 514 213
28 1266 5589 955 776 190
30 1485 7023 1544 779 240
31 1465 6418 1189 783 315
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
2 1123 5601 1048 852 148
3 467 4430 514 514 213
4 567 4366 572 810 173
5 1362 6292 1394 849 345
6 1311 6832 1322 919 414
7 1203 6452 1226 899 306
5 1362 6292 1394 849 345
6 1311 6832 1322 919 414
7 1203 6452 1226 899 306
Summary:
- The USA is back into first place with the most new cases and new deaths.
- Thailand had no new deaths, and with 15 new cases, is now #112 in the world with 3345 cases. Hawaii is catching up, with 201 new cases and 3092 total cases. Hawaii is the best state in the union for avoiding this virus. Keep in mind that Thailand has a population of 70 million, while that of Hawaii is 1.4 million. Just what is the USA doing wrong??? I know when I was in Thailand as recently as February, everyone walking around had on masks...except me. Maybe that's the reason. At least I now today wear one, sometimes with a face shield, anytime I go out of my door.
- South Korea had 20 new cases and one death.
- Japan is concerned, with 1552 new cases, but only 7 new deaths.
- China is now #30 in total cases, and had 37 new cases, with no new deaths.
Today, I present the pleasure of naps. All my life I never had any trouble sleeping at night, until the past couple of years, when this has become an adventure. I can initially fall asleep within a few minutes 95% of the time, but once I wake up and go to the restroom, the second time becomes a challenge. A third, and I watch TV to get sleepy again.
More recently, I noticed that I could fall asleep when my blood pressure was lower. Like after a meal, when my normal 135/78 can drop to 110/65, and below.
All through adulthood I almost never took naps. Maybe a dozen in my whole life, meaning once every few years. I was just too busy and could not justify wasting time by sleeping in the afternoon.
That has nicely changed. If I have 5 hours or less of sleep a night, I just take a nap. Makes the sleep process less stressful when I know I can do this. Now I don't need to suffer a whole day and evening fatigued and mentally messed up. Surprisingly, if I take a two-hour nap, I can still sleep at night, which sometimes is only a few hours later.
When I lived in my previous apartment, I had 6 to 7 hours of sleep, and temperature depended on the weather because I was loathe to use the air conditioner. Now, with the temperature at 70F in total quiet--one of the benefits of being in 15 Craigside--sleep conditions are perfect. Previous to these past few months of quarantine, I needed to stay in bed 10 hours to get up to 8 hours of actual sleep. But now, breakfast is delivered as early as 6:45. That wipes out my ability to sleep anything close to 8 hours. Thus, the beauty of naps.
Finally, I noticed that when I walked 18 holes on a golf course, I could sleep better. Now in quarantine into the fifth month, the situation is almost the same after 1.5 hours of semi-rigorous exercise in our wellness center on MWF.- Can improve your memory.
- Makes it easier to synthesize solutions.
- Keeps your work performance more consistent.
- Makes you more creative.
- Lifts your mood.
- Prepares you for a long night.
- Eases stress.
- Lowers your blood pressure.
- Helps your heart.
- Amazingly enough, helps you sleep better at night. You would think that your body might have had enough.
So how long should you nap?
- If in your office, half an hour should suffice, but this limits the benefits.
- One hour or more increases your longevity.
- About sleeping at night:
- Research suggests that regularly sleeping for less than seven hours a night can have negative effects on the cardiovascular, endocrine, immune, and nervous systems. Side effects of sleep deprivation can include obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension, anxiety, depression, alcohol abuse, stroke and increased risk of developing some types of cancer.
- A 2014 study found that sleeping six hours per night increases your risk of having a car crash by 33% compared to sleeping seven or eight hours a night.
- Another study looking at more than 30,000 people found that sleeping nine or more hours a night had an increased incidence of stroke of 23% compared to those sleeping seven to eight hours a night. Those who both slept over nine hours and napped for 90-plus minutes during the day had an 85% increased stroke risk.5
- 10 hours or more can result in depression. But if could well be that the depression condition causes you to sleep more. I once read that death row inmates sleep 16 hours/night.
- Sleeping less than 7 hours/night increased your risk of death by 24%, while sleeping more than 8 hour/night also increased your risk of death, by 17%.
But then, how much sleep depends on your age:
I did not realize that the medical recommendation for sleep actually dropped from the age of 65. In any case, one of the benefits of being in quarantine is that now I can count on naps to improve my health.

One of my Amazon.com purchases was a $25 sleep machine, made by HoMEDICS. You can mimic the sounds of a bubbling brook, the ocean, a summer night, thunder and white noise. The quality is quite good, except my mind does not work that way. Like logic leads me to believe that there is no Heaven, I can mostly imagine that the source is electronic and what I'm hearing is not real. Maybe over time I'll overcome that problem. It's better than counting sheep.

One of my Amazon.com purchases was a $25 sleep machine, made by HoMEDICS. You can mimic the sounds of a bubbling brook, the ocean, a summer night, thunder and white noise. The quality is quite good, except my mind does not work that way. Like logic leads me to believe that there is no Heaven, I can mostly imagine that the source is electronic and what I'm hearing is not real. Maybe over time I'll overcome that problem. It's better than counting sheep.
The following photo was sent to me of Pearl's Gold Koi and a puppy:
I'm still planning on an around the world trip, probably starting in 16 months. There will be a stop in Dubai for the World Expo. However, there are other sights, such as their Miracle Garden:
I'm still planning on an around the world trip, probably starting in 16 months. There will be a stop in Dubai for the World Expo. However, there are other sights, such as their Miracle Garden:
-













No comments:
Post a Comment