From Worldometer, COVID-19 new deaths:
DAY USA WORLD Brazil India South Africa
June 9 1093 4732 1185 246 82
July 1 676 4857 1057 438 92
5 251 3572 535 421 173
6 378 3573 656 474 111
7 993 5504 1312 479 192
12 380 4118 659 500 108
13 465 3729 770 540 93
14 935 5414 1341 586 174
15 1001 5760 1261 614 107
19 412 4606 715 675 85
20 545 4040 718 596 140
21 1119 5669 1346 671 195
22 1205 7128 1293 1120 572
26 450 4307 556 715 114
27 596 4200 627 636 298
28 1266 5589 955 776 190
30 1485 7023 1544 779 240
31 1465 6418 1189 783 315
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
2 1123 5601 1048 852 148
27 596 4200 627 636 298
28 1266 5589 955 776 190
30 1485 7023 1544 779 240
31 1465 6418 1189 783 315
Aug 1 1462 6429 1191 765 193
2 1123 5601 1048 852 148
Summary:
- Africa has 54 countries.
- South Africa has 5% the population of the continent, but more than 50% the number of COVID-19 cases.
- Are other countries just not reporting their cases/deaths, or merely awaiting the coming doom?
- Yesterday, South Africa had 10,107 new cases.
- Columbia (South America) had 10,673 new cases.
- Brazil 42,567 NC.
- India 54,865 NC.
- USA 58,429 NC.
- South Korea 31 NC and no new deaths.
- Thailand 2 NC and no new deaths. They are now #110 in total cases. When I was there in February, Thailand was #2 to China in total cases. I wonder what they did right.
- China 54 NC and no new deaths.
- Singapore 307 NC and no new deaths.
- Japan had 1464 new cases and is in a state of panic.
- From the New York Times daily briefing (comes to me by e-mail, so I can't send you to a link) today, and don't believe that idiot named Trump...things are getting worse:
|
On that sour note, I'm taking a day off from my sometimes spiritual Sunday. I understand that this posting now probably forever rules out my qualifying for Heaven--although I would think Someone up there must also allow for occasional euphoria--but yesterday was so exceptionally wonderful, so unexpected, the kind of day that makes life worthwhile, that some mercy is deserved.
So what was this truly wonderful day? Well, it involved a lunch and two films. To explain, I ventured out on Friday, one stop being Marukai to select the best piece of Miyazaki Wagyu Beef I've ever seen in Hawaii (it was thick, which allowed for medium rare--most pieces I've had in the past were too thin), and a small chunk of ahi (yellow-fin tuna):
So in searching around I saw this:
I'll go into the film next, but Kavalan deserves a few words. I got this bottle when I picked up the wagyu because I've always wanted to try it. In 2016 Kavalan won two awards for best single malts in the world.
Kavalan Distilleries is in Taiwan, and all of 14-years old. The taste was smooth and slightly sweetish. Unusual.
That bottle of wine is also another story. I bought this Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 20 years ago, and awaited the proper moment to have it. There was no reason at all, but this is today perfectly consistent in my current state of euphoria. You can actually purchase this particular vintage today. Twenty-one years old and still developing. One of the better wines I've ever had. Even superior to that Chateau Lafite Rothschild I tasted last year.
So what was this truly wonderful day? Well, it involved a lunch and two films. To explain, I ventured out on Friday, one stop being Marukai to select the best piece of Miyazaki Wagyu Beef I've ever seen in Hawaii (it was thick, which allowed for medium rare--most pieces I've had in the past were too thin), and a small chunk of ahi (yellow-fin tuna):
I cut this rather large steak into three pieces: one to have for lunch, a second to insert into one of my meals this coming week, and a third to freeze. I've noticed that a couple of months in that condition do not diminish the umami taste.
I was planning to watch a MLB game with this feast, but there was none. The PGA golf event had just finished for the day, and I don't bother with the NBA these days. So in searching around I saw this:
I'll go into the film next, but Kavalan deserves a few words. I got this bottle when I picked up the wagyu because I've always wanted to try it. In 2016 Kavalan won two awards for best single malts in the world.
Kavalan Distilleries is in Taiwan, and all of 14-years old. The taste was smooth and slightly sweetish. Unusual.
That bottle of wine is also another story. I bought this Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 20 years ago, and awaited the proper moment to have it. There was no reason at all, but this is today perfectly consistent in my current state of euphoria. You can actually purchase this particular vintage today. Twenty-one years old and still developing. One of the better wines I've ever had. Even superior to that Chateau Lafite Rothschild I tasted last year.
The greatest escape film of all time is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I saw it in 1986. That was a third of century ago. Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 80/92 rating. In those days, that would have been about right. Today, after my second viewing, a 100%.
Mind you, Ferris Bueller is not me. But that is why I so enjoyed the experience, for he did something I never could. I never skipped school. I did ride in a Ferrrari once. Now Louis, who owned that car, and was chairman of the board of the Florida Solar Energy Center, could well be Ferris himself. The highlight of the movie was Danke Shoen and Twist and Shout in that Chicago parade.
A few years ago when I decided that I had done enough about being the model person, I made a life-changing decision to just personally enjoy life for the rest of my life. Thus, this movie nicely fit into this current phase of my euphoric life.
Matthew Broderick is the son of actor James Broderick and is still married to Sarah Jessica Parker. He has had a successful career in films and on Broadway.
Cameo roles for Ben Stein, mentor of Jimmy Kimmel, and Charlie Sheen, playing his usual ornery self, but with wisdom. Jennifer Grey plays Bueller's sister.
She too comes from Hollywood stock, as her father is Oscar winner Joel Grey (Cabaret). Jennifer and Matthew were in those days dating. The following year came Dirty Dancing. Can you believe she is now 60 years old?
After lunch, I still had the single malt and cab available, so I thought, why not. 15 Craigside had recently shown South Pacific on our TV theater, which I recorded. This is only the best film ever for me, something I've seen a whole number of times already. But perfect for this truly wonderful day.
If you're interested in why this film is so important to me, READ THIS, a posting I made just about a year ago. I keep showing this photo because it epitomizes this message. Many of you have seen it too many times, but I keep repeating because, everyday, this blog site is new to half the readers.
The following was sent to me this morning, and I show it for no particular reason, except that this happens to be day for something like that, and it was funny. I would imagine there are numerous culinary regions that consider rice to be pasta:
The first photo below was taken yesterday. Then, today on a sparkling Honolulu Sunday morning. Pearl's Sunbursts are finally beginning to bloom. To quote from one of my postings:
Thus, this is the 37th year of blooming. So this photo more than anything else symbolizes what was a truly wonderful day.
Tropical Storm Isaias never returned to hurricane strength, and is merely skirting the east coast of Florida. Of course there is a lot of rain and some wind, but no landfall is expected here. Perhaps the eye will impact on North Carolina:
She too comes from Hollywood stock, as her father is Oscar winner Joel Grey (Cabaret). Jennifer and Matthew were in those days dating. The following year came Dirty Dancing. Can you believe she is now 60 years old?After lunch, I still had the single malt and cab available, so I thought, why not. 15 Craigside had recently shown South Pacific on our TV theater, which I recorded. This is only the best film ever for me, something I've seen a whole number of times already. But perfect for this truly wonderful day.
If you're interested in why this film is so important to me, READ THIS, a posting I made just about a year ago. I keep showing this photo because it epitomizes this message. Many of you have seen it too many times, but I keep repeating because, everyday, this blog site is new to half the readers.
The following was sent to me this morning, and I show it for no particular reason, except that this happens to be day for something like that, and it was funny. I would imagine there are numerous culinary regions that consider rice to be pasta:
The first photo below was taken yesterday. Then, today on a sparkling Honolulu Sunday morning. Pearl's Sunbursts are finally beginning to bloom. To quote from one of my postings:
In 1983 Pearl was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her doctor recommended surgery followed by chemotherapy. While she was recuperating at Kuakini Hospital, I saw in a flower shop a red, spherical flower with no leaves. I learned that this was an African Blood Lily (Scadoxus multifloras) and grew from a bulb. I called it a sunburst to inspire her. I told her that as long as she could re-grow this flower, she would live. While chemotherapy lasted for a terrible few months, she mothered two more flowers the following year, and they almost kept doubling each year. That's the view of Punchbowl from our Craigside penthouse.
Thus, this is the 37th year of blooming. So this photo more than anything else symbolizes what was a truly wonderful day.
Tropical Storm Isaias never returned to hurricane strength, and is merely skirting the east coast of Florida. Of course there is a lot of rain and some wind, but no landfall is expected here. Perhaps the eye will impact on North Carolina:
-
















No comments:
Post a Comment