From Worldometer, COVID-19 new deaths:
DAY USA WORLD Brazil India South Africa
28 1223 4612 1067 177 25
29 1212 4873 1180 269 34
30 1015 4084 890 205 32
June 1 638 3189 480 223 40
2 730 3053 732 200 22
3 1134 4669 1232 221 50
4 1083 4928 1269 259 37
5 1031 5511 1492 275 56
6 975 4906 1008 286 60
7 706 4253 910 297 44
8 586 3157 813 266 82
9 1093 4732 1185 246 82
10 982 5163 1300 388 48
11 904 4951 1261 394 74
Summary: So so day for Humanity.
I'm still eating, and these photos are clogging up my desktop. A series of them in chronological order, from my quarantine days to freedom.
First, one can get complacent about how good life is until something bad happens. I slept for ten hours last night after an arduous day at the Makalena Golf Course, when I had to quit because my conditioning was just not there. I was still exhausted after dinner and went to bed early. The final stretch was six hour long, and I awoke with a sore throat. My initial reaction was COVID-19, then, maybe only the flu, or, perhaps a cold. Then, after breakfast, my throat was fine. Apparently, my body is not used to sleeping that long, and my throat dried up to cause this discomfort. Now that I feel fine, euphoria is back and life remains terrific. So on to food.
In one of my final quarantine meals, 15 Craigside supplied the braised chicken and rice, but I added some ikura (salmon eggs) and fried egg, plus tsukemono (Japanese pickles). You can speculate on what I was drinking.
Next, 15C provided the lasagna, garlic bread and salad. I chopped up the pasta and fried it in butter, adding onions, tomato and basil, plus a dollop of Carnation cream. Something about dairy products significantly enhance pasta:
As you can see, I was watching those protests. As release from quarantine was to be the next day, I celebrated my final jail-time meal with a 2006 Stanford Ridgeline Cabernet Sauvignon.
Then, we were allowed to leave the premises. Note that I went prepared, with not only a mask, but a face shield.
My first stop was Marukai. In addition to the usual assortment of needs, I selected a piece of Miyazaki wagyu beef, plus a small lobster.
The meat can age a bit, so my first big home meal was lobster:
29 1212 4873 1180 269 34
30 1015 4084 890 205 32
June 1 638 3189 480 223 40
2 730 3053 732 200 22
3 1134 4669 1232 221 50
4 1083 4928 1269 259 37
5 1031 5511 1492 275 56
6 975 4906 1008 286 60
7 706 4253 910 297 44
8 586 3157 813 266 82
9 1093 4732 1185 246 82
10 982 5163 1300 388 48
11 904 4951 1261 394 74
Summary: So so day for Humanity.
I'm still eating, and these photos are clogging up my desktop. A series of them in chronological order, from my quarantine days to freedom.
First, one can get complacent about how good life is until something bad happens. I slept for ten hours last night after an arduous day at the Makalena Golf Course, when I had to quit because my conditioning was just not there. I was still exhausted after dinner and went to bed early. The final stretch was six hour long, and I awoke with a sore throat. My initial reaction was COVID-19, then, maybe only the flu, or, perhaps a cold. Then, after breakfast, my throat was fine. Apparently, my body is not used to sleeping that long, and my throat dried up to cause this discomfort. Now that I feel fine, euphoria is back and life remains terrific. So on to food.
In one of my final quarantine meals, 15 Craigside supplied the braised chicken and rice, but I added some ikura (salmon eggs) and fried egg, plus tsukemono (Japanese pickles). You can speculate on what I was drinking.
Next, 15C provided the lasagna, garlic bread and salad. I chopped up the pasta and fried it in butter, adding onions, tomato and basil, plus a dollop of Carnation cream. Something about dairy products significantly enhance pasta:
As you can see, I was watching those protests. As release from quarantine was to be the next day, I celebrated my final jail-time meal with a 2006 Stanford Ridgeline Cabernet Sauvignon.Then, we were allowed to leave the premises. Note that I went prepared, with not only a mask, but a face shield.
My first stop was Marukai. In addition to the usual assortment of needs, I selected a piece of Miyazaki wagyu beef, plus a small lobster.
The meat can age a bit, so my first big home meal was lobster:
Protests were still prominent on television. This was a totally different kind of lobster. The body was relatively small, but the claws were large and tough. The nut/lobster crackers did not work. Couldn't put any kind of dent no matter what I did. So I had to resort to kitchen shears. One other problem was that I had to grip the claw, and pricked my thumb and index finger, leading to bleeding from those spots on my left hand. It occurred to me that these injuries were where I gripped a golf club.
At least the wagyu beef was safe to prepare.
Then, an artichoke plus goose liver pate meal, with a bottle of Stanford Chardonnay:
In my further adventures into this new jungle of coronavirus, I also got a haircut, losing a pound of hair. I don't recall ever letting my hair grow for three months. I'm practically bald now, but am not aggravated anymore by hair touching my ears, and won't be for another month. Next door to my barber shop in downtown Honolulu is Lucky Belly, so I had a belly bowl, the best ramen made, with a glass of sparkling wine:
I then had my taxes done. I thought I'd be paying $8000 this year, but instead got a refund. So I reveled by having lunch at Rokkaku Hamakatsu:
The beer was Orion and the flight of sake came from Niigata. A truly outstanding combination of tonkatsu and torikatsu. In Hawaii, the second one is called chicken katsu.
Someone sent me this clip:
Then, an artichoke plus goose liver pate meal, with a bottle of Stanford Chardonnay:
In my further adventures into this new jungle of coronavirus, I also got a haircut, losing a pound of hair. I don't recall ever letting my hair grow for three months. I'm practically bald now, but am not aggravated anymore by hair touching my ears, and won't be for another month. Next door to my barber shop in downtown Honolulu is Lucky Belly, so I had a belly bowl, the best ramen made, with a glass of sparkling wine:
I then had my taxes done. I thought I'd be paying $8000 this year, but instead got a refund. So I reveled by having lunch at Rokkaku Hamakatsu:
The beer was Orion and the flight of sake came from Niigata. A truly outstanding combination of tonkatsu and torikatsu. In Hawaii, the second one is called chicken katsu.
Someone sent me this clip:
That's an 11-pound sushi.
- A visit to the island of Kauai with my college freshman roommate and his friends. My first attempt at photographing a moonset from my room at the St. Regis in Princeville.
- In February I left on one of my most memorable journeys:
Anyway, I'm on to Bangkok, will catch the Eastern Oriental Express to Singapore, then on to Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, back to Tokyo, then Shinkansen to the Cherry Blossoms throughout Japan. I will stop by the River Kwai Bridge that Colonel Nicholson, played by Alec Guinness, tried to protect. The Colonel Bogey March was the theme song, but real Colonel Bogey had nothing to do with the movie or plot.
- I caught the Eastern Oriental train from Bangkok to Singapore, and stayed at the Marina Bay Hotel.
- The Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami struck Japan on March 11, but I nevertheless flew to Narita the next day. Big mistake.
- Things were so bad in Tokyo that I luckily found a flight to China.
- A couple of days later, it was safe to get halfway back to Japan, so I flew to Seoul.
- Just another meal at Robuchon.
- The Peace Park also has a replica of Fat Man, the A-Bomb that fell over Nagasaki.
- My experience with a 7.1 earthquake in Tokyo.
- I took the one week cruise on Norwegian to the major Hawaiian Islands.
- On October 3 I took another around the world trip:

Today I begin my final ash scattering journey. I'll be stopping through Bangkok, Tokyo, Zurich, Amsterdam, Stockholm, London, Sao Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aires, Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Las Vegas, Reno, and San Francisco. Let me know if I'll be stopping by your city. Perhaps we can have lunch or something. My first leg takes 18 hours, so, maybe I'll break my Rome-DC record. Hopefully, it will be less stressful than my Delhi to Barcelona adventure.
- Between Honolulu and Bangkok I had 24 drinks. Yesterday I reported on my hairy journey from Delhi to Barcelona. I should have sent you to my HuffPo reporting on this ordeal, which also featured a high imbibition rate.
- London to San Paulo.
- Rio.
- Machu Picchu.
- Around the World in 43 Days.
- 2011 was a good year.
The Year 2011:
- The Great Tohoku Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Disaster. While the radiated water pollution looks ominous, turns out that the Atlantic and North Sea has a lot more actual nuclear wastes.
- USA assassinates Osama bin Laden.
In 2 minutes, the #1 songs of 2011. Adele's Rolling the Deep is the top song of the year. Rather mundane way to end the work week, but yes, these are my heroes of the quarantine lockdown...snails.
-

























No comments:
Post a Comment