Total Pageviews

Friday, July 5, 2019

THE NEXT TRIP TO THE USA HAS BEEN CANCELLED

While on first glance, cancellation of my USA trip seems like bad news, actually, it's just the opposite.  I wasn't mentally ready for a "next" trip, and there is still the thinking and planning for the November Fall Colors Japan Rail Pass proposition.

What happened was that:
  • A monumental USA adventure shrunk down to only a Hawaii to Seattle flight, UH-Washington football game, Amtrak to Vancouver and two Celebrity Eclipse cruises, the second, back to Hawaii.
  • However, Hawaiian Air flights to Seattle will become problematical, because of that football game.
  • I'd need to leave Seattle just after the game so that I could get into Vancouver in time to catch the first cruise.
  • The cost of the cruise doubled with unobstructed balcony view plus beverage package (the limit was "only" 15 drinks/day) and unlimited internet.
  • While there were a few indications of interest from friends, no one seemed particularly eager, so ending this jaunt was easy.
Otherwise, I have eaten well, for yesterday was an annual July 4th BBQ Betsy and Harvey have been inviting me to for more than two decades.  Hot dog, hamburger, potato salad and half a dozen other dishes, personally made by guests, so you kind of had to taste every one.  Then ice cream and cookies with melon.  We had our annual patriotic quiz and I could not answer:  Who was the husband of Queen Liliuokalani?  John Dominis.

Then for dinner, one of my Mystery Ladies came over to finalize planning for the USA trip.  She brought over a feast:


Shanghai Soup Dumplings, Chinese Peas with Pork, Ahi Sashimi and Beef Chow Fun.  I supplied all those drinks.  We decided to skip the USA venture and develop a memorable Orient adventure in November, possibly to include a cruise.

This morning, John and I go golfing at Ala Wai.  I have a huge breakfast before walking on a golf course, for my lunch is merely an apple.  Here, two kinds of fried fish, eggs over easy, rice, natto, cucumber tsukemono and leftover sashimi from dinner:


What a sparkling blue day in Honolulu.  Have a great weekend.

-
Barbara remains a hurricane, but is weakening and will only bring some moisture to Hawaii beginning Monday:


-

No comments: