Ninety percent of residents at 15 Craigside eat 90% of their meals in our dining room. As our monthly charge provides 3 meals/day, anything not consumed is money wasted. However, there are a few, for a variety of reasons--like to cook themselves, solitude, meal enhancement, plus whatever--who might come down for breakfast, lunch and dinner perhaps only 20% of the time. I am one of them. Mind you, if I have a $10 Zippy's bento lunch, I'm really paying $27 or so, for that difference is what we charge guests for this meal.
We have the option of paying $1.50 for take-out. I do this quite often. Today, I will take a typical dining room meal and improve it from food into cuisine.
The day started walking 18 holes at Ala Wai with my neighbor John. On the way home I stopped by Marukai and purchased a few items to upgrade the meal. Here is what 15 Craigside provided:
Not bad, you say, and you are right. However, here is what I did. First, I cut two scallops into eighth-of-an inch pieces, and fried them with garlic (8 cloves, sliced) in a generous amount of olive oil until most of the moisture evaporated out of the scallops. This coaxes out that special taste. Then those clams were added to the mix:
Plus the tomato/broccoli from the salad:
The basil and chili pepper from my lanai herb garden:
On my lanai with balsamic / truffle oil salad, a Stanford Governor's Selection Chardonnay and bottle of beer:
Music from my iPad to this JBL bluetooth speaker. I've already used 25 of these calamansi, but a lot more left, plus basil:
Here is just one serving:
There was enough seafood linguini for three people, as I had four servings. Walking on a golf course three times this past week allows me to eat and drink anything I want. There is something exceptional about a fine meal in solitude with a view.
While at Marukai I also couldn't resist this Matsuzaki Wagyu Beef, which I'll have some time this weekend:
-














No comments:
Post a Comment