Total Pageviews

Monday, July 29, 2019

I LIVE TO EAT

On Saturday, I posted on how to enhance food into cuisine at 15 Craigside.  I left you at Miyazaki Wagyu Beef.  So let me continue into Part 2, including the best pizza I've ever had.

Most diets, and two nutritional articles in the morning Star-Advertiser, no matter how they color it, advocate eating to live.  I live to eat.



Mehmet Oz and Mike Roisen, for example, want to alter your eating habits for a healthier life.  They are right, of course, but is there a better way?  I won't really enjoy a salmon burger with sweet potato and broccoli for breakfast.




The second article recommends cutting "just" 300 calories/day  represented here by two chocolate chip cookies.  Makes sense.

My cuisine choices this weekend of course followed the live to eat theme, but I only consumed a third of a pound of wagyu and chutoro (a fatty tuna sashimi), which is excellent for omega-3 fatty acids:


Just a simple meal on my lanai, with Kirin Beer and Taru-zake (note the cedar square cup):


Ho-hum, just another wagyu and chutoro meal on my lanai.  But great, nevertheless.

I might add, though, that when you go to a major conference in Japan, the evening before the meetings begin, conferees are invited to "dinner," which in this country doesn't mean dinner.  This is a reception where there are the usual beer, wine, alcohol options, plus an assortment of dishes.  You generally stand, eat, drink and talk.
The traditional practice is for the leaders of the gathering to pound open a cask of sake.  Note that people are drinking the sake in those wooden containers.  The keg is made of cedar, which adds to that distinctive taste.  However, they double the aroma by serving this special sake into a cedar drinking cup.  

Generally, inscribed on the wood are the conference details.  This is what you see on my above taru-zake cup:  TechnoOcean 96.  That was almost a quarter century ago.

Some of you might have experienced in a robatayaki restaurant sake poured into a cup, which sits in this wooden container.  Or, the cup might not be used.  In any case, they pour the sake to the very top so you either slurp the liquid without moving it, or drop a lot while bringing it up to your mouth.

The second part, pizza, was a $1.50 takeout from the 15 Craigside Dining Room.  This was Florentine:  spinach and tomato, plus avocado.  I always ask that the avocado be placed in a separate container, which I consume with a salad.  Again, I reduced my consumption by enhancing only one-fourth.  I froze the remainder.  Avocados do not freeze well.

I first fried the bottom of the pizza in a pan with a lot of butter, which would evoke rejoinders from nutritionists.  However, you know me by now.  I then transferred the piece to a toaster/oven, but first adding, for this go around, pepperoni and chopped up shiitake mushrooms and onions.  I then placed the combination in the oven.  After a few minutes I cracked an egg onto the top of the pizza and returned the super pizza back into the oven for a couple of minutes.  The result:


With beer and a glass of Chardonnay, what a meal.  Perhaps my best pizza ever, and the egg could have been the key.  Maybe the butter, too.  I forgot to add the basil I had picked, but I still have 3/4 of the pizza left.  Next?  Japanese Wagyu Beef Pizza?

-
Hurricanes Erick and Flossie will threaten Hawaii by this weekend.  Erick looks to sufficiently weaken and ease by south of the islands, but Flossie could get stronger and take on a path a bit more to the north:

-

No comments: