Day 143 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and here is an update.
****************
We all go through life and have a handful of incidents that shapes your future. However, it is that small victory or minor tragedy that occurs more frequently that determines your attitude on any given day. My life is so inconsequential today that I get ecstatic at the simplest of triumphs.
I returned from golf yesterday and noticed a fly on the window. So what's the big deal about a fly?
In my four years here at 15 Craigside I have never had this form of intruder in my apartment. It could have been worse, like a large flying cockroach, giving me a heart attack, because I do have at least a mild form of Katsaridaphobia. No one in this facility has yet to see one of those in this building. Outside, absolutely, for my Hoy Hoy roach traps have captured on my lanai at least four, which is only one/year, but still significant.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that Hoy Hoy trapped at least a thousand large ones in my previous residence next door. I lived in a two-floor penthouse, and, apparently, when large roaches crawl up a building, there is no where else to go when they reach the top. I didn't move to 15 Craigside to escape this horror, but the absence of these B-52s could well be the foremost benefit of all.
To continue, if I looked for a fly swatter, which I didn't have anyway, or even a magazine, the fly could have disappeared. So in immediate desperation I slapped at it, almost broke the window, hurt my palm, miserably failing. A couple of hours later watching TV, this fly buzzed me and landed on my head. I swatted at it, missed and ended up just slapping my face.
I looked up how long a house fly lives and learned this would be for about a month. I've had mosquitos in my apartment, and they can also stick around for a month. I learned, though, that a soapy dish of water sometimes works to catch them. I went to bed wondering if I would be bothered for a whole month.
When I awoke this flying beast again flew at me, and I slapped it on my face, and I felt this sensation on my neck, so I tried to hit it again. I awoke and saw nothing in bed, but to my delight...a black spot on the rug. I picked it up, carefully squashed it and flushed this trophy down my toilet. What a victory! Made my whole day, and maybe whole month.
Today is NCAA football-watching day, which began last night when McKenzie Milton, former Hawaii high school quarterback, ran for three touchdowns and passed for three more to lead Central Florida on a rout of Florida Atlantic 56-36. Then today, Jordan Taamu, former Hawaii HS QB, steered the University Mississipi with two passing and a running TD over Kent State. As I'm writing this, Alabama is overwhelming Texas A&M because Tua Tagovailoa, former HI HS QB, is magically QB'ing the victory.
Later tonight, I'm confident that the University of Hawaii will prevail over Duquesne. In football. I didn't know they even had a team, but, on checking, found out that their stadium holds all of maybe 2,000, people. However, they have had winning records for five straight years, while Hawaii has not had one of those in five years. Maybe I should be concerned
Gotta mention one more victory, no doubt to be the biggest upset in college football this year. Like Duquesne sticking to basketball, Old Dominion should do the same, right? Well, in their first three games this year, they were outscored by 53 points to Liberty, Florida International University and Charlotte. Then, in comes #13-ranked Virginia Tech, which had previously crushed Florida State and William & Mary. Sure, QB Josh Jackson got injured in the third quarter, but OD also used a second-string QB, Blake LaRussa. Score: OD 49 - VT 35. VT was picked to win by 4 touchdowns, about the amount Hawaii is favored over Duquesne.
My two biggest victories this weekend, without doubt, will be meals I'll have on my lanai. Yesterday, after walking 18 holes at Ala Wai, I felt I just had to reward my body for all that agony. Many enjoy the game of golf. I suffer through 36 holes/week so that I can eat and drink whatever I want.
I first dropped by J-Shop and got Japanese wagyu beef and o-toro:
Later tonight, I'm confident that the University of Hawaii will prevail over Duquesne. In football. I didn't know they even had a team, but, on checking, found out that their stadium holds all of maybe 2,000, people. However, they have had winning records for five straight years, while Hawaii has not had one of those in five years. Maybe I should be concerned
Gotta mention one more victory, no doubt to be the biggest upset in college football this year. Like Duquesne sticking to basketball, Old Dominion should do the same, right? Well, in their first three games this year, they were outscored by 53 points to Liberty, Florida International University and Charlotte. Then, in comes #13-ranked Virginia Tech, which had previously crushed Florida State and William & Mary. Sure, QB Josh Jackson got injured in the third quarter, but OD also used a second-string QB, Blake LaRussa. Score: OD 49 - VT 35. VT was picked to win by 4 touchdowns, about the amount Hawaii is favored over Duquesne.
My two biggest victories this weekend, without doubt, will be meals I'll have on my lanai. Yesterday, after walking 18 holes at Ala Wai, I felt I just had to reward my body for all that agony. Many enjoy the game of golf. I suffer through 36 holes/week so that I can eat and drink whatever I want.
I first dropped by J-Shop and got Japanese wagyu beef and o-toro:
I skipped the wasabi root (note that one of them costs $35), but also purchased some ahi (yellow-fin tuna) and ikura (salmon eggs), because my "tail-gate" on my lanai later today will be a luau. The laulau, chicken long rice, lomi-lomi salmon and haupia (coconut pudding) will come courtesy of 15 Craigside. The best part of the laulau is the pork fat. So what better to enhance that than some foie gras. So I stopped by Foodland and also added some mushrooms:
My dinner last night, with beer, hot sake and the remainder of my scotch on rocks from my bath:
Note the jalapenos:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average hit another record high to 26,744 today.
-
On the heels of Super Typhoon Mangkhut, Trami has formed east of the Philippines, and looks likely to attain hurricane strength:
My dinner last night, with beer, hot sake and the remainder of my scotch on rocks from my bath:
Note the jalapenos:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average hit another record high to 26,744 today.
-
On the heels of Super Typhoon Mangkhut, Trami has formed east of the Philippines, and looks likely to attain hurricane strength:
-




















No comments:
Post a Comment