There are around 20 Invisible Man films. However, by that exact title, based on the novel by H.G. Wells, there are only three:
Year Rotten Tomatoes Weekend My Rating
Reviewers Audiences Box Office
1984 never rated (Russian)
2020 90 89 #1 B+
The 1933 film featured the American debut of Claude Rains, who was born in London in 1889, to a family of a dozen children. You know him best as the partner of Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.
Boris Karloff was the original "man," but he quit because of a salary squabble. In the film you mostly only hear the diembodied voice of Rains. John Carradine and Walter Brennan play bit parts. The movie was directed by James Whale, who also did the 1931 Frankenstein, with Karloff as The Monster.
H.G. Wells generally liked the movie, but decried the portraying of the scientist who invents the process as insane. There was a 1940 sequel entitled The Invisible Man Returns (RT: 83%/58%), starring Vincent Price as the new Invisible Man.
Johnny Depp was signed to play the latest Invisible Man, but dropped out after delays. As it came to be, the actors were essentially below star quality, although the "heroine," Elisabeth Moss, has been in 56 films. You saw Aldis Hodge in Showtime's City on the Hill, which is coming back for a second season.
This latest 2020 version is far removed from the Wells book. Filming occurred in Australia. The pill Diazepam, which keeps returning, was first marketed as Valium, and is one of the most frequently prescribed medication in the world since appearing in 1963. The wholesale cost is 1 cent/pill. How much do you pay? Why so much on this bit of pharmacy? You figure out the meaning after seeing the film.
I agree with the reviewers about smart, well-acted and scary. This was a big-time scientific horror show, with a feminist ending. Spin-off? Of course. Elizabeth Banks will star in, direct and produce The Invisible Woman. You can expect even more surprises.
I promised my body wagyu and sashimi if I returned from Thailand healthy. It's now five days since I came home, and I remain in euphoria, and well. It all started with a Hawaiian luau on Friday night, with hot sake and cold beer:
Much of the food came from 15 Craigside takeout, but, after walking on the Ala Wai Golf Course, I stopped by Foodland (said to make the best) limu kohu / kukui nut ahi poke. I added some chopped kazunoko (herring roe) and onions to provide some crunchiness.
Then, Saturday evening after going to see The Invisible Man, I delivered the promise:
The best tuna at Marukai was chu-toro at $34/pound.
Marukai had no Japanese Wagyu Beef, so I went to J-Shop:
Also shiitake mushrooms, sliced onions and myoga (Japanese ginger).
Hot sake, cold beer and chilled white wine. You've seen this bottle before, as I featured it in my 9 February 2020 Oscar meal. I capped and stored it in the refrigerator and had it almost three weeks later. After all, this Chardonnay is already 16 years old. Tasted fine. Have you ever had a 16 year-old, 3-weeks-opened Chardonnay? I might be the first person on Planet Earth to ever do this.
-










No comments:
Post a Comment