This has been a particularly exceptional holiday period, so far, for food with friends. But I will begin with this morning, when I got out of bed at 9:30AM and ten hours of sleep. I seek 10 hours once/month, and succeed, maybe, four times annually.
For Christmas Eve dinner at 15 Craigside I was invited to join the table of Charlotte and Al Matsuda, with their daughter Lynn, husband, Doug, and children Halle and Kyle:
I traditionally bring my most expensive Stanford alumni wine to this table, and this year it was a Collector's Reserve Lyndenhurst by Spottswoode 2014 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which just arrived this month. Those other bottles are dark chocolate with a hint of liquors like Remy Martin, etc.
The next day, I had my annual Christmas dinner at the Lees. Leona kindly picks me up and takes me back home, for I know I will have a couple of drinks or more. Harvey to the right and Betsy with son Patrick:
Yesterday, my neighbor John Aoki and I went golfing at the Ala Wai Golf Course. It was raining with thunder and lightning, so I quit after the sixth hole, but John went on with two others and played his best ever golf, with a birdie and four pars. On the way home we bought some Japanese wagyu beef and o-toro for sashimi. Marilyn and Wil joined us for an incredibly fabulous meal.
I brought two bottles of Stanford reds, for I was not sure if the 2003 Hans Fahden Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon would be drinkable. This potion turned out to be perfectly aged, and one of the very best wines I ever had the pleasure to drink.
Still to come, New Year's Eve Dinner followed by poker to Midnight and later:
Then for my first meal on January 1, O-zoni, which this year will feature scallops, abalone, hokigai, lotus root, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mochi, mustard cabbage, won bok and more. I also will grill a small piece of Japanese Wagyu Beef from Miyazaki, and craft some O-toro Blue Fin Tuna sashimi, with libations I haven't yet quite identified.
Still to come, New Year's Eve Dinner followed by poker to Midnight and later:
Then for my first meal on January 1, O-zoni, which this year will feature scallops, abalone, hokigai, lotus root, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mochi, mustard cabbage, won bok and more. I also will grill a small piece of Japanese Wagyu Beef from Miyazaki, and craft some O-toro Blue Fin Tuna sashimi, with libations I haven't yet quite identified.
-









No comments:
Post a Comment