I don't go out at night much anymore, but made an exception this weekend. My plan was to catch The Bus to Ala Moana Shopping Center to dine at Vintage Cave Cafe (Chef Hide Yamamoto to the left), then, on the way back, stop by to mill around with the crowd for the 34th celebration of Honolulu City Lights.
With the block party beginning at 4PM and parade at 6PM, The Bus had to detour in devious ways. After some anxiousness, I finally made it for dinner a little late, but the bus rides back were yet another adventure. Perhaps this most serious challenge would not occur in Heaven, but did you know Purgatory has cockroaches? While sitting at one of the stops, two large cockroaches began circling me.
So on to Vintage Cave Club, which I think is the best restaurant in Hawaii. I was placed in my favorite Ruby Room:
They keep changing the rules here. For most of this year, members could bring their own wines with no corkage charge. Now? $50/bottle. But others pay $75. I thought it was a waste to use the wines in my private locker here for drinking a whole bottle was too much, so ordered a red blend and Kohishikari Echigo beer.The meal started with Prosciutto San Daniele:
The first of four Japanese wagyu beef specials from Miyazaki was called Saikyo Cream Cheeese:
Beautiful, but the meat was cut so thin that I couldn't quite draw out the delicately flavorful wagyu taste.
Next, Osetra Caviar with 24K gold leaf:
Note that Osetra has a golden color, and this serving is over akami tartare. There are three ahi (maguro tuna) cuts: akami (red flesh), chotoro (fattier) and otoro (fattiest).
Next came Foie-gras Flan, which, combined with a small glass of Sauternes (reminiscent of Chateau d'Yquem, but ten times cheaper) recommended by Alex, the sommelier, could well have been the best dish combo I've had all year. I should apologize that the photos I took of him, Sarah, my attendant, and Randy, bar manager, all came out fuzzy, so would not have done them any justice. However, the service they provided was excellent.
The first Intermezzo was a tablespoon of flavored ice, unto which I poured some Sauternes.
Next, Shima-Aji Sashimi (a white Jack fish from Okinawa), which you can't see for the foam:
The Broiled Hirame (a flounder) was good. Those white and green dots had no character.
The second Intermezzo was Lilikoi Glanite, to which I again added some Sauternes:
The Marinated Amiyaki Wagyu Filet over a piece of Unagi (eel) used a Diable (vinegar/tarragon) Sauce, and was served smoked under glass:
It was fine.
The finale', Charcoal Grilled Wagyu Striploin, was generously topped with Black Truffles:
The wagyu was exceptional, but the truffles had absolutely no famed bouquet. I made a fuss that a place like this should not bother to use truffles if the quality is that low. There might have been a subsequent sense of guilt, for I was then served a special salad covered with truffles:
I mumbled something like it's a bit better, but was still disappointed. If I heard correctly, these came from Australia at the end of their season.
The dessert was Mountain Rose Apple Pie with Marsala Anglaze and Shiokoji Gelato topped with a Caramel Chip:
If not for the truffles incident this would have been my best meal of the year.
I then caught The Bus to the Honolulu City Lights block party:
Such was the beginning of Christmas holiday in Purgatory.
-




















No comments:
Post a Comment