The lab was popular with the people, but the geo-electricity was not, leading to Federal Judge David Ezra siding with the environmentalists, marijuana growers, Hawaiian activists and recent immigrants living in the area to retard the expansion of this option. Puna Geothermal Venture finally did succeed in installing 38 MW, but the potential could have been 500 MW, with electricity cabled to Oahu.
There remain hiccups to expand geothermal on the Big Island, but some interest seems to be brewing on the island of Maui. After all, Haleakala erupted less than 500 years ago, and geophysicists consider volcanoes to be active if the last eruption was 10,000 years ago.
- Maria Richards was elected as the 26th President of the Geothermal Resources Council, to replaced current President Paul Trophy in 2017. She coordinates the Geothermal Laboratory at SMU. She is a reservoir engineer.
- The Geothermal Energy Association released a survey exploring the economic benefits of geothermal facilities, including revenues, royalties, employment and environmental advantages.
- If you're confused, the GRC serves as the focal point for professional development through outreach, information transfer and education services , while the GEA is a trade association.
- The GRC is hosting a workshop from June 22-26 at the Yellowstone National Park, the site of the "greatest concentration of geothermal features in the world." While the cost is $1500 to members and $1700 for non-members, covered will be accommodations in West Yellowstone, transport to and from the workshop, various materials and a few meals. The deadline for registration is June 12, and only 50 spaces are allocated.
- State of Geothermal Industry Briefing, DC, February 24.
- National Geothermal Energy Summit, Reno, June 3-4.
- Geothermal Energy Expo, as part of the GRC Annual Meeting, Reno, September 20-23.