Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 16, 2019

15 CRAIGSIDE: THE BEST STEAKS

You must have read or heard by now that two eggs/day are AGAIN bad for your health.  But what about steaks?

You would think that evolution got us here, so some kind of cave-man diet would be something good for our intake.  More fashionably today known as the Paleolithic Diet, seafood is preferred and just a bit of lean meat can be tolerated.

However, the Atkins Diet is time-proven, and for half a century now has been commonly accepted for resistance to carbohydrates and emphasis on protein and fats...yes, fats.  Of course, you need to maintain your body through exercise, etc., too.

  • is packed with beneficial nutrients
  • provides a healthy source of fats and fatty acids, like omega-3
  • builds muscles
  • contains cholesterol, which is essential for your health
  • has been condemned by the media when  BBQd for being carcinogenic, but there is no compelling medical evidence
  • can promote weight loss and is healthy
  • is delicious, and is a fine reward for body and mind
So I've justified that steaks, for me, anyway, are okay.  Of course, I also know that too much red meat with animal fats cannot be terribly terrific.  However, at my age, enjoyment of life overrides mere and minor health risks.  I love Japapanese wagyu beef with a lot of fat.

I should mention that 15 Craigside never serves steaks.  That's not all bad, for chances are the quality would be suspect and the doneness/temperature would be all wrong.

So on Wednesday, the Poker Gang here decided to have a barbeque dinner, and asked me to purchase and grill the steaks.  The consensus best in Hawaii is Costco Blue Plate ribeye.  I wondered whether to buy another plate of three, but stopped at 5 pounds for 14 of us.  Turns out that this was more than enough, for I took home a whole grilled piece.


I purposely undercooked the steaks, for the dining was to be in our Solarium, and chances are that the beef temperature would not be optimal.  There is a full kitchen up there, and I had a pan for butter and another for olive oil, which were used to warm the meat as necessary.  There was also a full buffet of poke (marinated Hawaiian sashimi), fish dish, something with tofu and tossed salad.

Our group included spouses.  So I commented that shouldn't those with a significant other pay double to the pot?  It was a joke, but no one laughed, or commented.

Here they are:


My plate, followed by the dessert, which was mochi ice cream:


Then last night, my neighbor John and I walked 18 holes at the Ala Wai Golf Course:


Remember that exercise is necessary if you consume too much steak.  On the way home we dropped by J-Shop to purchase Japanese wagyu beef and sashimi.  Not sure why, but the price, depending on cut, ranged from $60-$150/pound.  We decided on the cheapest sirloin:


Two kinds of sashimi:  hamachi and ahi, with myoga.


The myoga is that ovalish Japanese ginger.  That is an $80 Junmai Daiginjo sake:


The Graham Port was ideal to match the haupia (coconut pudding):


The others in our Dining Room had a Hawaiian dinner, so I decided to take-out some lomi-lomi salmon and lau lau.  However, they recently changed the policy here, and if it doesn't look like you made any serious attempt to eat your meal, they charge you $1.50 to take them back to your apartment.  The containers cost less than 5 cents, so there is something irrational about charging residents to combat those who blatantly take extra stuff home to pass on to their children and friends.  There are supposedly only three of them.  My solution would be to stop these culprits from doing so.  I deserved the lomi lomi and lau lau.

But life is not totally perfect, so I assuaged my stress level by gazing at a beautiful sunset horizon when I returned to my room:


-

No comments: