I've lived a life where I have been able to professionally dabble in pure fantasies. Three years with the U.S. Senate working on energy and the environmental legislation. I drafted the bill that created the national hydrogen program in 1979. Worked on laser fusion at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) at the NASA Ames Research Center. I had a full career in renewable energy, directing the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute at the University of Hawaii and co-founding the Pacific International Center for High Technology Research.
Lawrence Livermore first achieved a net energy gain in a fusion experiment using lasers. That experiment briefly achieved what’s known as fusion ignition by generating 3.15 megajoules of energy output after the laser delivered 2.05 megajoules to the target, the Energy Department said.
Seven months later, LLNR repeated that breakthrough, with a higher energy yield. Unfortunately, we have been close to achieving fusion power...for 50 years. I worked at this lab in the 70's, and left the field for that reason.
However, the larger question of intelligent life out there somewhere remains intriguing and worthy of considerable vision, for, what if the equivalent of an Encyclopedia Galactica, first suggested by Isaac Asimov, is streaming in from a civilization a billion years older than ours? The cure for cancer, the solution for world peace...and more.
But is it dangerous to try to detect and then communicate with extraterrestrials? Some say yes. Stephen Hawking felt that alien contact could be risky.- #10 Star Trek: First Contact
- # 9 Interstellar
- # 8 The Day the Earth Stood Still
- # 7 ET. The Extra Terrestrial
- # 6 2010: The Year We Make Contact
- # 5 The Abyss
- # 4 Contact
- # 3 Arrival
- # 2 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- # 1 2001: A Space Odyssey
- First Contact, 2016, a 1 hr 35 min documentary.
- Contact, 2009, a 1 hr 21 min documentary.
- Contact, 2019, a reality documentary.
- Contact, 2014, another documentary, I think about Margaret Thatcher.
- First Contact, 2019, another documentary.
- So tubi did not carry the one I wanted.
- Various streaming channels have this film, but there will be a rental charge.
-












No comments:
Post a Comment