- Carnival originally began as a pagan festival, and later became associated with the Catholic Church as a celebration the day before the beginning of Lent.
- During the main Fasching season in Munich, there are more than 800 balls, the biggest parties with thousands of people
- In 2010, this was my 600th posting since my blog began.
- I woke up in Munich only aware that I was to have lunch at the Hotel Konigshof.
- I began to walk around and found myself next to Marienplatz:
It's coming to an end, for the braised beef shoulder was oozing with melted Goose Liver (most foie gras, almost anywhere these days, is from a duck...not this one) and Perigord truffles totally covering the beef. You can get these truffles for $1600/pound in America. The meat itself was nothing compared to the Chiang Mai Four Seasons Wagyu Beef, but, who cares with the topping. Oh, there was a wine, a Domaine Roger Perrin Chatenneuf du Pape, heavy bodied and perfect.
Not quite over yet. Finally, with citrus fruits, sherbert and a Pina Colada Foam, came a Mandelsheimer Schwarz-reisling Trestor Edalbrang (a grappa at 43% alcohol), and, because I asked what might be the best counterpart from Italy, I was served a Berta Roccenilno (trust me, the spelling might be off), a much lighter (and lot more expensive) grappa.
Switching to a friend from the past, Carl-Jochen Winter was the German sparkplug for the advance of hydrogen. We shared many similarities.- I wrote the initial legislation for hydrogen in the USA, which became the Matsunaga Hydrogen Act.
- We were both professors who wrote books. One of his publications is On Energies-of-change: The Hydrogen Solution. I cover hydrogen in SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth.
- I chaired the World Hydrogen Energy Conference when it was held in Hawaii in 1990. He was chairman when WHEC went to Stuttgart, Germany in 1996.
- The 24th WHEC will be hosted by Cancun, Mexico from June 23-27 this summer.
- He, and his wife Eva, spent some time as a visiting scholar at the University of Hawaii. Eva and I--plus you need to add Iris Ovshinsky--had a fascination for blue flowers, so we formed a trio to share these memories.
- My wife and I stayed at their home in one of our visits to Munich.
- Alas, he passed away a year ago at the age of 88.
-






No comments:
Post a Comment