Total Pageviews

Monday, January 23, 2023

MASS SHOOTINGS, CHINESE CUISINE AND WELLNESS

My China series continues today, but first, a few comments on mass shootings in the USA.  From the New York Times this morning:

If anything, the chart, which uses data from 2017 and 2018, understates America’s problem. The U.S. rate of gun homicides has increased in recent years, according to the Small Arms Survey.

The data exposes a clear trend: Where there are more guns, there are more gun deaths. Studies have found this to be true at the state and national level, and for homicides, suicides, mass shootings and police shootings. Stricter regulations on firearms are linked to fewer gun deaths.

The latest Lunar New Year Monterey Park incident was the 33rd Mass Shooting of 2023.  The month isn't yet over.   Eleven killed, and the deadliest in the U.S. since the May 2022 Uvalde, Texas tragedy.  There were 647 of these last year, and more than 44,000 people in the country died due to gun violence.  It's pretty clear why.


Why?  Too many guns, Republicans, the National Rifle Association, the American people, mental illness, racism, politics, etc.  Well, here is an article debunking the myths perpetuated by the gun lobbies:

  • In the U.S. and world, both show data indicating that 1 in 5 live with a diagnosed mental illness.  Only the USA has this high a level of mass shootings.  Those countries with strong gun oversight experience significantly less gun violence.  Anyway, an FBI reporter found that just around the same percent, 22%, committed these crimes, with only 8% documented to be so.
  • The U.S. experiences 26 times more gun violence than that of peer nations.!!!  26 times!!
  • You read the rest of these NRA myths.  There are many more, and a good percentage of the American public actually believes them.

Today, my Chinese posting features Chinese cuisine, with a Stanford Chardonnay and Johnny Walker Blue Label.  First, our Chef Jordan and lunch provided by 15 Craigside, which we shared with Pat and Babe:


A surprise was the presence of 101-year old Henry, who had been incapacitated for two months.  He looked great.

About half an hour after lunch I measured my blood pressure.

Not a big surprise, because I noticed these low blood pressures after every lunch, especially when I have an alcoholic drink.  After one hour, it was even lower.

This is the lowest I've seen in my life, which should be a little worrisome.  I've noticed that these low pressures make me very sleepy, but perhaps can be a solution for insomnia.

Several years ago I had a large bento with a beer and watched the wind surfers off Diamond Head.  Then I drove down to the Ala Wai Golf Course and walked.  At hole #6, when I went to pick up my ball I felt dizzy.  Happened several times, so I bought one of these wrist blood pressure devices.  Surely enough, my blood pressure, which measured 130/75 before teeing off, dropped to around 100/60, and sometimes 90/55.  Stopped eating before golf, and the problem disappeared.


Mind you, I'm taking two blood pressure pills, which have lowered by usual pressure of 145/85 to now mostly 125/75.  These lunches are thus great to prepare me for a nap.  I'm trying to maximize my sleep schedule to maintain a desirable weight range.  Read my posting on this discovery.  Sleep minimizes ghrelin and maximizes leptin.

-



No comments: