I recorded Last of the Breed, a PBS program featuring Willy Nelson, Merle Haggard and Ray Price, and as Nelson began singing On the Road Again, I got this inspiration of going on the road again. Then, when he sang You Were on My Mind, my mind began nostalgically wondering what if I could convince some friends and family to join me for my final trip around the USA? Then, of course, there is that mythical around the world cruise next year.
I will hopefully reach the Year 2020, my lifelong goal. This blog will end next year. I think I have two more monumental trips left. First, the one I've been gloating over for several years, that around the world journey on a ship next year.
The second just came to me while watching Willy Nelson and his friends. I've been through most states, driven across country and back a couple of times. Took Amtrak completely around the country. I'm headed for 3 million miles on Star Alliance. What, then, about my final national wandering being a multi-transport mode peregrination around the United States?
I've stopped renting cars, so if road travel is involved, someone else has to do the driving. Amtrak, sure, for Pearl and I once started in Los Angeles, went up to Vancouver, across the northern portion of the U.S. through Chicago and New York City, then down to Florida, west through New Orleans and San Antonio, and back to LAX. Took us a month. I've flown so much, I want to minimize that option.
The second just came to me while watching Willy Nelson and his friends. I've been through most states, driven across country and back a couple of times. Took Amtrak completely around the country. I'm headed for 3 million miles on Star Alliance. What, then, about my final national wandering being a multi-transport mode peregrination around the United States?
I've stopped renting cars, so if road travel is involved, someone else has to do the driving. Amtrak, sure, for Pearl and I once started in Los Angeles, went up to Vancouver, across the northern portion of the U.S. through Chicago and New York City, then down to Florida, west through New Orleans and San Antonio, and back to LAX. Took us a month. I've flown so much, I want to minimize that option.
Would be nice to visit friends in New York City, DC, Florida, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Austin, San Francisco and so on. Perhaps catch a University of Hawaii football game against Washington on September 14, or Nevada on September 28, Boise State on October 12, or University of Nevada at Las Vegas on November 16. These are not must stops, but why not events if the timing is right.

Then I just got an e-mail from someone planning a possible trip involving a conference in Orlando in September, so probably stops in Disney World and Epcot Center, and another activity in Las Vegas from October 4.
Thus I quickly combined our two schedules. She can of course join me in Orlando, and return to Hawaii after Las Vegas. Here is a very preliminary complete itinerary that could well be around six weeks long:
-->

Then I just got an e-mail from someone planning a possible trip involving a conference in Orlando in September, so probably stops in Disney World and Epcot Center, and another activity in Las Vegas from October 4.
Thus I quickly combined our two schedules. She can of course join me in Orlando, and return to Hawaii after Las Vegas. Here is a very preliminary complete itinerary that could well be around six weeks long:
USA in the Fall of
2019
September 12 Lv
Honolulu Air
Ar Seattle
14 UH-Washington football game
15 Lv Seattle Amtrak
17 Ar Chicago
20 Lv Chicago Amtrak
Ar DC
23 Lv DC Amtrak
24 Ar Orlando
25 Epcot Center
26 Lv Orlando Air
Ar Reno
28 UH-Nevada football game
29 Lv Reno ?
Ar San Francisco
October 3 Lv San
Francisco ?
Ar Las Vegas
4 Conference
5 Conference
6 Conference
7 Conference
8 Lv Las Vegas Bus
Ar
Kingman, Arizona
Lv Kingman Amtrak
Ar Albuquerque
9 Balloon
Fiesta
10 Balloon Fiesta
11 Lv Albuquerque Air (1000
miles by car)
Ar Boise
12 UH versus Boise State football game
14 Lv Boise
Amtrak
Ar Portland
****************************************************
16 Lv Portland Amtrak
Ar Los Angeles
19 Lv Los
Angeles Carnival
Miracle
24 Ar Kahului
25 Ar Honolulu
or *************************************************
October 17 Lv Portland Amtrak
18 Ar San
Diego
20 Lv San
Diego Holland
America
Oosterdam
26 Ar Honolulu
or *************************************************
October 18 Lv Portland Amtrak
Ar Vancouver
21 Lv Vancouver Norwegian
Jewel
27 Ar Kona
28 Ar Hilo
29 Ar Kahului
30 Ar Nawiliwili
November 1 Ar Honolulu
**************************************************
Need to check on the San Francisco to Honolulu cruise
schedules. They all seem to only start in
November 2019, meaning October is probably fully booked.
Princess leaves Los Angeles on October 7 and November 4. Oceania Regatta departs San Francisco on November 1 and arrives in Honolulu on November 7.
Oceania is a possible candidate for a fantasy 162-day around the
world cruise in 2020. Insignia departs San Francisco on January 26 and arrives back to SFO on July 5. Deluxe ocean view is available for $43,000 ($265/day)/person or Veranda Stateroom for $53,300 ($329/day)/person.
However, all rooms at this time appear to have been reserved. Princess and Holland America have four-month packages for
half those prices. But Holland America is sold out. Pacific Princess departs Los Angeles on January 20, stopping in Honolulu on January 26, and returning to Los Angeles on on April 25. Cost? $31,000/person for a balcony room. 111 days and 41 ports of call.-->
I wonder if my brother in Las Vegas and his friend from Seoul would want to join me for part of these adventures? Just a segment would be nice. Or perhaps my Mystery Ladies? Joyce and David. Dave/Sharon and Louis from Florida. Gloria and Joe from DC. Grace, Michael and Katie in New York? Jim and the gang around San Francisco. Marie and John in Austin? Margaret and Harry? Judith and Bruce. Tadashi and Mayumi? Anyone from 15 Craigside? Or acquaintances from my past? Others?
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. That was a movie from a third of century ago. Got an 87% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Hotels and other travel costs? Should be shared as appropriate, although individuality in rooms would be fine. Decisions will need to be made very shortly, so, anyone interested, let me know now. Otherwise, maybe I'll go myself.
Of course, anyone contemplating joining me, can suggest other stops. I'm flexible. There is the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta from October 5-14, something I've long wanted to experience. I don't want to ride one of those, just take a few photos.-








No comments:
Post a Comment