

















My two books on Planet Earth and Humanity delve into the full range of colors, but leave out yellow. As I was putting together a DVD of my recent trip, I noticed several yellow flowers (pictured above), plus we have had a second bloom (first flowering of another species reported in blogs of February 25 and 26) of yellow flower trees over the past two weeks. There will be a third of yellow shower trees and, perhaps a fourth of some other variety. Hawaii has the greatest assortment and highest density of these various yellow flowering trees in the world. So let me today talk about the color yellow.
Light with a wavelength between 570 and 580 nanometers is yellow. This is a rather narrow band when you consider we can see from 380 to 750 nm. The human eye is most sensitive at around 555 nm, so this is why school buses, cabs and caution flags are this color. It is difficult to build a yellow laser. I tried.
The color itself has taken on a negative reputation, as in cowardice. There is yellow journalism referring to sensational practice; yellow peril once about Japanese, and now, Chinese; and yellow movies are pornographic in China. Yet, yellow is used on national flags as a symbol of the Sun or agriculture, yellow-tail and yellow-fin are two prized fish varieties in sushi bars, and yellow is a royal color in Thailand and associated with the Libertarian Party in the U.S.
In the second grade I was wearing a yellow Aloha shirt and was stung by a honeybee. I gained a phobia against this color until fairly recently, when I noticed a very comfortable canary yellow t-shirt at Ross's in Honolulu for all of $5. So I bought it. Then, some weeks later, I saw it on sale for $3 so I bought two more. On a trip to Las Vegas I happen to see the same shirt for $15, so when I returned it was now on sale for $2 so I got three more. Finally, some months later, it had dropped to $1, so, an additional couple. I now have eight, all extra large, and of the same yellow color and material. It's my most comfortable sleeping top, which functions for dressy wear when necessary.
-
The Dow Jones Industrials zoomed up 196 to 8473, world markets were mixed, gold dropped $7/toz to $950. Crude oil hit a six month high, increasing to $62.73/barrel.
-
When the bondholders voted to reject the latest offer today, all signs pointed to a GM bankruptcy next week. The controlling agent is the Federal government, and my gut sense is that everything possible will be done to avoid this fate. For one, there has been too much bailout money provided. Second is that everyone else has largely capitulated, except for these Wall Street bondholders. Between now and June 1, the Feds final offer will provide a larger share of stock to the bondholders, or some consideration for greater revenue sharing in the future, to avoid this embarrassment. Why? The answer might be China, which will pass Japan as the #1 autodealer in the world this year. There is a real fear that China will pick up the pieces if GM goes under. Forget the economics, there is just too much face to lose, for GM was once the largest corporation ever in the U.S. in terms of revenues as a percent of the GDP. Considering the value of money, GM stock was about a hundred times higher at peak less than a decade ago. There is considerable upside potential for GM shorn of union, medical and retirement burdens.
-
The death toll from Cyclone Aila in the Kolkata region now numbers in the range of 100, with double that for Bangladesh. Millions are being inconvenience.
-
Light with a wavelength between 570 and 580 nanometers is yellow. This is a rather narrow band when you consider we can see from 380 to 750 nm. The human eye is most sensitive at around 555 nm, so this is why school buses, cabs and caution flags are this color. It is difficult to build a yellow laser. I tried.
The color itself has taken on a negative reputation, as in cowardice. There is yellow journalism referring to sensational practice; yellow peril once about Japanese, and now, Chinese; and yellow movies are pornographic in China. Yet, yellow is used on national flags as a symbol of the Sun or agriculture, yellow-tail and yellow-fin are two prized fish varieties in sushi bars, and yellow is a royal color in Thailand and associated with the Libertarian Party in the U.S.
In the second grade I was wearing a yellow Aloha shirt and was stung by a honeybee. I gained a phobia against this color until fairly recently, when I noticed a very comfortable canary yellow t-shirt at Ross's in Honolulu for all of $5. So I bought it. Then, some weeks later, I saw it on sale for $3 so I bought two more. On a trip to Las Vegas I happen to see the same shirt for $15, so when I returned it was now on sale for $2 so I got three more. Finally, some months later, it had dropped to $1, so, an additional couple. I now have eight, all extra large, and of the same yellow color and material. It's my most comfortable sleeping top, which functions for dressy wear when necessary.
-
The Dow Jones Industrials zoomed up 196 to 8473, world markets were mixed, gold dropped $7/toz to $950. Crude oil hit a six month high, increasing to $62.73/barrel.
-
When the bondholders voted to reject the latest offer today, all signs pointed to a GM bankruptcy next week. The controlling agent is the Federal government, and my gut sense is that everything possible will be done to avoid this fate. For one, there has been too much bailout money provided. Second is that everyone else has largely capitulated, except for these Wall Street bondholders. Between now and June 1, the Feds final offer will provide a larger share of stock to the bondholders, or some consideration for greater revenue sharing in the future, to avoid this embarrassment. Why? The answer might be China, which will pass Japan as the #1 autodealer in the world this year. There is a real fear that China will pick up the pieces if GM goes under. Forget the economics, there is just too much face to lose, for GM was once the largest corporation ever in the U.S. in terms of revenues as a percent of the GDP. Considering the value of money, GM stock was about a hundred times higher at peak less than a decade ago. There is considerable upside potential for GM shorn of union, medical and retirement burdens.
-
The death toll from Cyclone Aila in the Kolkata region now numbers in the range of 100, with double that for Bangladesh. Millions are being inconvenience.
-
No comments:
Post a Comment