จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันพุธที่ 22 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2563

COVID-19: This is Earth Day


The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 210 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. The day is reset after midnight GMT+0. The list of countries and territories and their continental regional classification is based on the United Nations Geoscheme. Sources are provided under "Latest Updates". Learn more about Worldometer's COVID-19 data


New deaths:

DAY     China   Italy   USA   Spain   Germany   S. Korea  WORLD

Apr    1         7  727     589      463            83               3        3239
          2         6  760     522      709          158               4        4183
          3         4  766     716      587          123               5        3822
          4         4  681     769      546            55               3        4755
          5         3  525     909      471          106               6        3595
          6         2  636     874      528            78               3        4414
          7         ?  604   1371      556            95               6        6291
          8         2  542   1400      628          176               8        5431
          9         2  610   1286      446            82               4        3779
        10         1  570   1739      523          121               4        6506
        11         3  619   1476      399             ?                3        5358
        12         ?  431   1090      366            74               3        4533
        13         2  566   1147      280            21               3        4489
        14         ?  602   1754      300          100               5        5726
        15         1  578   1558      324            97               3        6351
        16         ?  525   1796      318          139               4        6239
        17   1290  575   1338      298          151               1        6857
        18         ?  482   1090        41            74               2        4888
        19         ?  433   1117      410            10               2        4344
        20         ?  454   1202      399            64               2        4307
        21         ?  534   1481      430            86               1        5362
        22         ?  437     931      435          125               1        5008

Summary:
  • A better day for humanity, as new deaths declined for the World, USA and Italy.
  • However new cases in the USA were equal to the combined cases for Spain, Italy, France and Germany, the #s 2 to 5 countries for total cases.
  • I checked the deaths for yesterday and today, which for China and Japan mean that the there were no new deaths today.   Is that real?
  • More new cases are increasing for South America.
  • Africa and India seem under control.
    What were you doing half a century ago?  I was in graduate school.  I have no memories of anything particularly environmental.  I was trying to build a tunable laser for my PhD thesis.

    In 1969 at a UNESCO conference in San Francisco, peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honor Earth and the concept of peace.  Secretary General U Thant of the United Nations signed a proclamation written by McConnell.

    A couple of months later Senator Gaylord Nelson, a Democrat from Wisconsin,  saw an 800 square-mile oil slick from  a blown out oil well off the coast of Santa Barbara, and proposed an idea to hold a nationwide environmental teach-in on April 22, 1970.  He hired an activist, Denis Hayes, a history major from Stanford University, who later went on to earn a law degree from there, to be the national coordinator.  They called it Earth Day and Hayes not only organized the nation, but eventually coordinated events in 141 nations.  Walt Kelly created this anti-pollution poster to promote this first day.

    Hayes went on to run the Solar Energy Research Institute during the Carter administration when I was working in the U.S. Senate.  I remember Senator Nelson well as an environmentalist, who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for this effort in 1995.


    The first Earth Day was incredible, taking place in 2000 colleges/universities and 10,000 K-12 schools in the USA.  Today, 192 countries observe this day, coordinated by the Earth Day Network, now run by Denis Hayes, who said that this is now the largest secular holiday in the world celebrated by more than a billion people every year.  Yes, that's him 50 years later.


    How was I affected by that first Earth Day?  I graduated in biochemical engineering in 1972 and a decade later became the University of Hawaii campus ecologist by choice.  I taught environmental engineering and created a course called Technology and Society.  I had 50 to a 100 students each semester carry out environmental activities with community organizations.  One class of 70 actually was able to get National Science Foundation support to publish Energy Self-Sufficiency for the State of Hawaii, which was picked up by the State Department of Energy as a textbook for high school science classes.  My research was all related to sustainable resources and renewable energy.  At the same time I became Directors of the Environmental Center and the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute.

    Way back when I was active, Life of the Land was the environmental group of note.  Today, it is the Blue Planet Foundation, founded by Henk Rogers.  While I don't think this is their motto, it did come from a meeting of a distinguished board:




    Do You Give a Crap?  Leave a Buck

    This statement is from an article about the organization.  Today, the Star Advertiser published an op-ed by Melissa Miyashiro and Jeff Mikulina of Blue Planet entitled:  Parallels in coronavirus, climate crisis.

    Today Hawaii Senator Sharon Moriwaki sent me a newsletter, which also went to her supporters.  We were once golf buddies and colleagues at the University of Hawaii:

    Aloha Neighbor,
    As we see our efforts of sheltering in place and social distancing paying off with fewer positive cases, let’s take some time to look forward and to honor our Planet Earth.  Today, Wednesday, April 22, is Earth Day 2020, celebrating its 50th anniversary. We can take action -anything small or grand- to change our world for a better sustainable future.  While sheltered at home, you can still join in the celebration going digital at: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2020/

    This article from The Verge links to different virtual ways that people can celebrate Earth Day from home, including "Earth Day Live 2020," which will be hosted by activists, entertainers and politicians to discuss, perform and instruct teach-ins about the Earth Day Movement.  It links you to Earth Day animation and poetry, telematic festivals and meditative YouTube videos, with a range of different interactive events for adults and kids to do while being stuck at home.

    And here at home, you can participate in:
    To add to our prior message on the "silver lining" of the COVID-19 pandemic and in celebration of Earth Day 2020, consider the following changes to the health of our planet:
    Going back even further from 1970, 1959 covered part of my freshman and sophomore years at Stanford.  Somehow I had survived that first quarter and began to enjoy campus life.  Here were the top 30 songs that year, and you can experience all of them in ten minutes.



    As I started with 1958 yesterday, here are the best songs from 1953-1957.  In 15 minutes.  No drugs...innocent times...no rap music.  For me songs of the period when I ranged from 13-17 were my most memorable.







    Actually, that clip at the start of this paragraph I don't think was well made.  Here are ALL the Billboard Hot 100 #1 hits from 1955-1959.  Much better, and 18 minutes long, but if you're old enough, you can trace what you were doing during that period.  Finally, here is one selecting the most iconic song of the 75 past years, somewhat educational for me.


    Can't believe I said nothing about our fearful leader, but I'm putting together a posting to be entitled The Madness of King Trump.  Did King George III suffer from acute intermittent porphyria, or was he just plain crazy?

    -

    ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: