จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันอาทิตย์ที่ 5 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2563

COVID-19: Dreaming in Purgatory


The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 208 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.

New cases:

DAY     China   Italy   USA   Spain   Germany   S. Korea  WORLD

Mar 23          9  601       85      435            24               7        1631
        24         7  743     100      489            33               9        1983
        25         4  683     129      454            47               6        1987
        26         6  712       73      498            33               5        1801
        27         5  919     182      569            71               8        2782
        28         3  889     241      674            52               5        2609
        29         5  756     169      624            49               8        2706
        30         4  812     271      537            19               6        2849
        31         5  837     439      553            37               4        3661
Apr    1         7  727     589      463            83               3        3239
          2         6  760     522      709          158               4        4183
          3         4  766     716      587          123               5        3822
          4         4  681     769      546            55               3        4755
          5         3  525     909      471          106               6        3595  

Summary:

  • The key figure of new deaths is continuing to increase in the USA.  
    • The World now has two epicenters:  the USA and Europe.
    • With 4,159 deaths in New York, and 630 on Saturday, over the past 24 hours there were 594 new deaths.  Governor Andrew Cuomo reported that his state appears to be at an apex or plateau.
    • Next:  New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles.
  • The good news, while still too early to really tell, it is appearing that the World is plateauing:
    • Apr 2  4183
    • Apr 3  3822
    • Apr 4  4755
    • Apr 5  3595
  • However, anxieties remain about India and bordering countries, plus Africa.  If COVID-19 makes inroads into those areas, the World death rate will seriously jump.
  • France has a blank.  Not sure why, but if I check those numbers, I get 518 new deaths, exactly the same as the day before.
  • Italy and Spain are continuing to decline.
  • China and South Korea remain in single digits.
  • Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and India had no new deaths.
Analysis:
  • My first focused posting of this mysterious virus (COVID-19 became official as a name on February 11), was on January 25--China: Another Pandemic?--but the World Health Organization did not called this epidemic a pandemic until March 11.  On January 25 I was just like Donald Trump, more critical of the media than the threat itself.  However, at least I covered myself with statements like:
Of course, in the totality of things, it's better to overreact than be decimated by what might have been prevented with smart decision-making.

           Further:

Clearly, the government knows something we don't.  London's Imperial College, for example, speculated that up to 10,000 in China had this specific condition when the official tally on January 18 was 62 cases.  All current rumors and signs point to a fear that SARS this time will be worse, and maybe 10 times so.  However, even with 100,000 getting sick and 10,000 deaths, that would be less than 3% of expected deaths from the flu this year.  Yet, the trepidation of 1918 weighs heavy, and what if Chinese authorities are still hiding something horrendous?
  • Here is a speculation.  
    • Say Bernie Sanders suffers another mild heart problem.  Then, Joe Biden also has a health concern.  He is, after all, 77.  The thought of Andrew Cuomo (62) then becoming Donald Trump's opponent on November 3 is intriguing.  He is doing everything what we want Trump (73) to do to rally the nation and make some tough decisions.  Instead, our President treats each daily briefing as some TV survival opportunity, blaming others, punishing anyone who challenges him, lying and providing specious information.  
    • Thankfully, the White House briefing today has been cancelled.
    • Oh, if Cuomo, then what about Michelle Obama (56) as VP?  Both, of course, keep reiterating that they have no interest in the presidency, but against Trump for the good of the Nation and World?  Barack for Secretary of State and someone not so sycophantic for Defense.  Mark Esper is a former Heritage Foundation (conservative think tank) and lobbyist.
  • The eight states holding out of state lockdown measures have Republican governors.  Are they trying to appease Donald Trump?
  • Then we have Florida, Georgia and Texas?  Can't possibly be because of Trump, but these Republican governors all seem beholden to God and, for First Amendment reasons or just a natural alliance with religion, are exempting churches from holding large gatherings.  Perhaps this has to do with Easter week.   It's unimaginable that they are trying to prove that religious people are immune to this novel coronavirus.  More than half of South Korean COVID-19 infections have been traced to one church in Daegu.  
Don't know really why, but I wondered, if there is a Heaven, whether babies are born like on Earth.  Of course no one knows, but here is one point of view that says no.  

Does one dream in Heaven?  We do in Purgatory.  The last time I had a fantastical dream was almost a decade ago, which became an article in The Huffington Post, Suicide Dreams.  I then related this experience to a movie:

This one of mine had all of those, sprinkled with my mindset today, plus the 1998 movie, What Dreams May Come, with Robin Williams. In this film, Williams ends up in Heaven, and I particularly flash back to brilliant hues, and, in particular, a blue jacaranda tree, the second favorite of my wife Pearl. There is a gender reversal, but the coincidencies are obvious.

That dream was colorful, fanciful and mostly upbeat, save for a few vexations.  The one I had last night was even more kaleidoscopic and vibrant, but with an overriding need to pee.  If there was any connection, they both seemed to feature calypso-type music.  Wonder why it wasn't Hawaiian or the Beach Boys, for the images were evocative of what they represent. 

I've already forgotten most of what I dreamt, but certain fragments remain.  I'm driving, possibly towards Waianae, but perhaps approaching Cliff House (here an old photo), San Francisco. My structure was modern, but not on top.  This giant building was along the side of the cliff, which in my dream was at least 10 times higher and in the shape of a broad bay.  Those three small islands were there in my dream.  The beach looked familiar.

Anyway, I find myself on a lanai near the top.  The view is spectacular, blue skies, with an angry sea.  Picture that fantasy on the right where the living area pretty much covers the whole cliff, but much wider.  I gaze at the other end of the structure, and there are hundreds of apartments, the lowest floor perhaps 20 feet from sea level.  Lots of people hanging out on their patio.  I can feel pounding waves and listen to the screeching children playing around.  Maybe not the screeching children part, but, I felt, wouldn't it be great to live  here.

In the apartment connected to the lanai we're on, a couple is making strange love with soap bubbles, and seem not to care much about us.  The chairman of this group of six or so is someone named Bob Oglethorpe (this was not the group, but that person who is second from the left looks like Bob in my dream).  Never met a person with that name before.  Our meeting is lengthy.  It went on forever, and we agreed to do something.  Can't remember what.

The next scene is inside that apartment, where a cocktail party was in full swing, reminiscent of a typical Woody Allen film.  I remember being asked, what are you doing here inside their home.  I mumble something about Bob Oglethorpe.  Guess that was a good answer.  I was left alone.  After a while I decide to leave.

Outside the apartment was a bank of elevators.  But I noticed a restroom at the end of the hall.  That room unfortunately was locked.  So I walked back to the apartment, but saw that the waiting line was long.  I thought I'd try the next floor and went back out.  One floor down was a series of huge restaurants, some sounding somewhat familiar, most not.  Good number of customers in them.  You had to go into them for restroom use so I thought I'd try another floor.

Down one, and wow, not only restaurants, but exhibits and museums and a lot of color with Calypso music.  Even shave ice.  This is beginning to look like a World Fair.  I keep walking and am impressed.  How can this building support so much activity, I thought.  I'm taking a lot of photos.  I keep walking, and it seems that the  helix going around the whole building goes on forever.  It didn't occur to me that if this building was stuck to the cliff, then why the sky was always in view.  But dreams are not logical.

I chose to take the elevator to another floor.  I really need to pee.  A bunch of people in the elevator, and when I pressed the second floor, they all cheered.  Cheered.

We all get out on this floor.  I should have asked someone, but I could not figure out where the restrooms were.

Turns out that the second floor is at sea level.  I stroll towards the ocean and reach a large viewing area.  Then a wave comes upon us and drenches me.  I turned around to protect my camera.  But the wave brought water, suddenly two feet high flowing back.  I struggled to escape.

I don't remember how, but I somehow get back into my car.  In many dreams I can't find it.  But this time I'm driving back home and the beach to my right lights up like a fireworks show.  I noticed that timed explosions were occurring along the beach, which is similar to the one heading from the Cliff House area towards the south.  I park close to the action and join a group of official-looking people.  One of them marvels at how these blasts will enable them to do their job.  Don't know what.  I'm right close to all this paroxysm, but there is no sense of personal danger.  Weird.  The beach then becomes totally devastated.  The sand is mostly gone.  Then I wake up.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: