Day 39 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and the usual earthquakes and plumes from Halemaumau Crater, plus lava flow from fissure #8. Here is a comparison of past Lower Puna eruptions:
Fountain Height Lava Area Activity Time Volume
feet acres days cubic feet
1840* 26 7 billion
1955 875 4000 88 4 billion
1960 1000 2560 33 4 billion
2018 300 5500+ 39+ 4 billion
* At night, the activity was so bright, that 19 miles away, you could read a newspaper in Hilo.
**********************************
If any Obama will run in the 2020 Presidential Election, it will have to be Michelle. She most probably won't be a presidential candidate, but would make a particularly attractive nominee for vice president. However, if this is ever to happen, she will need to be persuaded to make a difference against Donald Trump...which should be easy to do. There is today no obvious Democratic presidential front-runner. Barrack Obama has already served two terms, so cannot again run.
Well, the the next most memorable summit--to Reagan-Gorbachev ending the Cold War--of two countries will occur in less than five hours. No new terms like glasnost, perestroika, rapprochement and detente, but I'm excited.
I thought I'd just walk around aimlessly, so here are just a few shots, beginning with reptiles, like a Komodo Dragon, and ending with a Gharial, a crocodile with a snout:
I particularly loved that bluish alligator. There are more than reptiles here:
What do you see? Sure, three cones and a sphere...but there are two black rhinos in the background. Then an egret talking to an eland.
Yes, plants and flowers, too On the way back to my room I noticed that those artists are still displaying their wares:
They've been here on Monsarrat next to the zoo for two-thirds of a century, and the exhibit is about the same size as it was when I was a child. They still shoo you away when you attempt to take a photo of their works. This is a missed opportunity awaiting a savior. No reason why there shouldn't be a wall of art completely around the zoo.
Well, anyway, I bought a Caesar salad from Wolfgang Puck across the street and a bag of salted peanuts with some drinks from ABC Store in my hotel:
I should add that I also walked up to the end of that pier and took some photos, including the Marriott (I'm in that corner room on the 20th floor--ask for a room ending with 32):
To the left are those Starwood properties on the beach, and to the right, Diamond Head:
My lanai lunch:
You can hardly see it next to the small champagne bottle, but I also had two lychees:
For dinner, I made it to Morimoto Asia at 4:59PM and got Table 1, with a perfect view of the Pan-Pacific Festival Parade:
I ordered a flight of sake: Junmai, Junmai Ginjo, Junmai Daiginjo and unfiltered, with a bowl of edamame.
The parade began with the Royal Hawaii Band, and went on for an hour or so. Maybe it was being isolated away from the marching groups, but I found the parade to be especially boring and disappointing. Many of the usual highlights were missing, and there was no show-stopper.
My second course was Japanese wagyu beef from Gifu at $25/ounce (I thought the whole three ounce dish was $25...but it was well worth it, for $300/pound is about the 3:1 ratio that restaurants overcharge for wine).
The restaurant was mostly full, but I was alone in my section of the place for the whole two hours:
My final course was roast duck ramen:
To the right is a photo of Chase Heu, General Manager. I met him yesterday at Momosan. He came by for a chat tonight.
Chase was actually familiar with Miyazaki, which has become one of my favorite cities, for in addition to having the best wagyu in Japan, now cultivates sturgeon for caviar, and is noted for growing those mangoes. At one time a $40 musk melon was the distinctive gift in Japan. Today that threesome costs $235.

































ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น