Day 38 of Lower Puna Eruption and only fissure #8 is producing lava. Another 5+ magnitude earthquake at Halemaumau Crater this morning. To recap:
- Eruption began on 3 May 2018.
- Largest earthquake, a 6.9, occurred on 24 May 2018.
- Lava fountains up to 300 feet.
- Halemaumau Crater ash plumes up to 12,000 feet.
- New term: LAZE--lava haze made up of hydrochloric acid and glass particles (Pele's hair)
- As of two days ago, Mayor Harry Kim announced that 600 homes were destroyed by lava.
- There is no evidence that Mauna Loa is about to erupt.
- No human casualties by eruption.
*************************
Yes, I ate the largest strawberry in the world. Or, at least, an unusually humongous chocolate-covered one. I caught The Bus to Waikiki, but stopped off at the King Kamehameha statue to photograph those leis. There was a parade in his honor yesterday and Monday is his day, a local holiday.
The Marriott Waikiki Resort has 1300 or so rooms. This hotel was once called the Hawaii Regent, where I had my retirement party almost 20 years ago. So this was a homecoming of sorts.
My corner room is fabulous, just across the street from Waikiki Beach with a panoramic view:
I walked around and had lunch at Momosan, the second Morimoto restaurant in the Alohilani Resort.
I sat outside to get a better view, and had a curry rice / pork skin ramen combo with kim chee, plus a glass of Sapporo. A good beginning to my staycation. What you see cost me $30 with tax and tip.
Next door, I saw this sign for Morimoto Asia, so made a reservation for a Sunday dinner, and asked for a parade view.
For dinner I ate at the Kuhio Beach Grill, a buffet in the Marriott, which provided 25% off and free glasses of wine and beer. Couldn't have the crab legs, so settled on their prime rib:
That top/right dish was a tacos. The desserts were bountiful, and this is where I had the largest chocolate covered strawberry in the world:
With tax and tip....$50. On M-Th nights, the meal is half-off for everyone. But this was Saturday night. At least I got Alaskan Crab Legs...which I could not eat because of my crustacean allergy. Ah, but free drinks.
Woke up this morning to almost no one on Waikiki Beach, but a lot of surfers:
My free (non-Elite members pay $35) buffet breakfast in Kuhio Beach Grill was excellent, again with a view of Waikiki Beach:
Today? Not sure. I have a free day in Waikiki, but there will be an evening parade plus my reservation at Morimoto Asia.
-



















ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น