จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 21 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2561

SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Space Needle and Chihuly Glass

Day 50 of the Lower Puna Eruption and lava at 2000 F is still racing to the sea from fissure 8, 8 miles away, now forming a crater, up to 164 feet.



***************

Yesterday I had a tiny breakfast in the Marriott M Club Lounge, then, for lunch, went to Hamanasu:


All you can eat sushi for $16.  My final 3, bringing the total up to a dozen, more than I've had for a long, long time:


The last time I got close was 18 of them at Jiro's in Tokyo, personally made and served by him.
I then took the Link to the University of Washington campus.  This stretch just opened in 2016.  The system to Sea-Tac Airport began in 2009 from Seattle to Sea-Tac Airport.  This rail transit system is 20 miles long and will expand to 112 miles  by 2040.  Cost?  Just $2, roundtrip.

The university station is right at Husky Stadium, enhanced by what is now known as the Alaska Air Field for the next decade, which came with $41 million from the airline.


Looking the other way, John, is the Udub Medical School:


Why udub?  UW is pronounced U-double-U.  So this is shortened to u-dub.

A long walk away is the campus itself:


I show this sign because these ducks spread Salmonella.  But this can only mean that anywhere they poop, you can contract this ailment.  

This rose was as large as a head, with white ones only slightly smaller:


I went to the Hub to buy a udub shirt.  The bookstore was on the other end of campus.  I took the Link back to the Westlake Station, walked to the Monorail station, and caught the Monorail to the Seattle Space Needle.  There are only two stations, and this system has been around since 1962.  It is said that the same trains are still being used.  Looked good.  Roundtrip cost was $2.50.


The Space Needle is under re-construction, to end soon.  However, the restaurant is closed and won't open for several more months.  Not worth the price for the mess.  For half the cost to get twice as high, go to the Sky View Center at Columbia Center in downtown Seattle.  

But I had to come for I was last here in 1962, just about the time I was about to graduate from Stanford.  The trip inspired me to go to almost every World's Fair since then.

Nevertheless, here are two photos from the Needle top, and one of me taken by their professional photographer and sent free to my e-mail address:


Another reason I'm here is that I just had to visit Chihuly Garden and Glass, a showcase for Dale Chihuly, glass artist.  If you like color and glass-blowing, you'll love this exhibit.  I'll just show a bunch of shots:


Absolutely fascinating and fabulous.  Go.

Back to Seattle, the Monorail passes right through the Museum of Pop Culture (MOPOP), which I avoided, for I hate comic book films.


I stopped by Pike Place Market to purchase products from the state of Washington:  caviar (ikura), blue cheese, foie gras, Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, beer bread.  On the way out I noticed a sign for Walla Walla sweet onions, so paid 80 cents for one.  Turned out to be my best buy.


No utensils, so had to apply the sticks used to mix coffee for the pate, cheese and caviar (had to use two).  The onion slices were such that they functioned as spoons for the clam chowder, supplied by the Marriott (I had a $10 certificate).  I've never eaten spoons before.  This was my best meal yet on this trip, and ended with sunset, at a temperature on my hotel lanai of 72 F.


Tomorrow I'll be in Anchorage for the longest day of the year.  Never gets dark.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: