จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันอังคารที่ 19 มิถุนายน พ.ศ. 2561

SIX HOURS TO SEATTLE: Seattle is Hot

Day 48 of the Lower Puna Eruption, and Mayor Harry Kim suffered yet another heart attack.  He might be the first attributable casualty from this volcanic activity.  The usual 5+ earthquake at the summit, and activity expands to more fissures.

*********

Yes, Seattle is hot.  Up to 91 F today, but more, it is the fastest growing city this decade in the USA.  Key areas like the Waterfront and Space Needle ($100 million) are being upgraded.  The freeway along the Waterfront is being eliminated, but a new tunnel (Bertha, $4 billion?) will replace it.  Unfortunately, the freeway will be torn down before the tunnel is opened, so AVOID SEATTLE AT ALL COSTS IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY THIS YEAR.  

Yesterday I had lunch at Maximilien in Pike Place Market.  Absolutely wonderful, with escargots, foie gras and blue cheese salad, with a Washington Bordeaux and Kronenbourg, a French beer:


This was somewhat confusing, because Maximilian was a Bavarian King and I thought Kronenbourg was German.  I then walked through Pike Place Market, with more peonies, colors and such:


I didn't know there were purple asparagus and yellow raspberries:


Next on to my Seattle tour, beginning with the Fremont Troll:


You can see Mount Rainier to the right.

I then caught the ferry to Bainbridge Island.  Cost?  $4.15 for the ride to there and free on the return, taking around two hours with the wait in line.  Greatest bargain in Seattle.


Talked to two ladies and a high techie living on that island.  Possible characters for the book.  On my walk back to the Marriott I passed by the Seattle Great Wheel, so I took a ride:


Mount Rainier looms in the photo just above.  Tomorrow, I go to Victoria Island, followed by the Space Needle and UDub the next day.


At this point I came to a realization that Seattle might not be the ideal mega-tsunami victim.  Just like San Francisco, the city is blocked from a direct hit.  Maybe I'll need to return to Five Hours to Los Angeles, my original target.  I'm going to now take a closer look at other major coastal cities, including in Japan.  The Panama Canal and Chile might be worthy of perusal, except that there are no direct flights from Hawaii to those two locations.  However, these three sites save Hilo, and Kohala Volcano once experienced a serious collapse, so did Mauna Loa and the Southwest Rift/Hilina Slump of Kilauea are the more prominently mentioned sources of a possible mega-landslide anyway.

Then again, watch this clip of such an event sending a mega-tsunami from the Big Island to Oahu.  Thirty Minutes to Oahu?  I've caught that flight a hundred times.

-

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: