After I wrote SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Planet Earth, next came SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity, topics that intrigued me, but way below my knowledge level. For example, for the chapter on The Golden Evolution, I started by reading Religion for Dummies.
Similarly, as I approach commenting on the top summer song of 2019, I got to admit that I possibly have never before heard any of the candidates:
- Old Town Road (Remix), Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
- I Don’t Care,” Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber
- If I Can’t Have You, Shawn Mendes
- ME!, Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie
- bad guy, Billie Eilish
- Sucker, Jonas Brothers
- Con Calma, Daddy Yankee feat. Snow
- SOS, Avicii feat. Aloe Blacc
- Big Ole Freak, Megan Thee Stallion
- Don’t Call Me Up, Mabel
- Too Much,Carly Rae Jepsen
- Boy With Luv, BTS feat. Halsey
Incidentally, that last contender, by Korean boy band BTS, I reported on them during my Orient tour this past spring, and the number of pings to this blog site jumped by a factor of a hundred. In case you haven't figured it out by now, "feat." should say featuring, as Halsey, that gal in red hair, who is an addition to the group.
I can't possibly predict #1 for the summer of 2019, so let me send you to Billboard, for they today released their Top Twenty, with Old Town Road (Remix), Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus, as the best.

So much for the music of today, of which I know nothing. Conversely, I am quite familiar with yesterday of a long time ago. Here is a list of the top summer songs from 1900 to 1959, with #1 being particularly memorable, for that was the summer I left Hawaii for the very first time, on my to college. What I did not know then was that Eddie Cochran was British, and he died only two years later in 1960. Nothing particularly dramatic. A road accident on a rock tour.

So much for the music of today, of which I know nothing. Conversely, I am quite familiar with yesterday of a long time ago. Here is a list of the top summer songs from 1900 to 1959, with #1 being particularly memorable, for that was the summer I left Hawaii for the very first time, on my to college. What I did not know then was that Eddie Cochran was British, and he died only two years later in 1960. Nothing particularly dramatic. A road accident on a rock tour.
| 1. | Summertime Blues – Eddie Cochran, 1958 | |
| 2. | Take Me Out To The Ball Game – Billy Murray (or many others), 1908 | |
| 3. | We’re Gonna Rock Around The Clock – Bill Haley & His Comets, 1955 | |
| 4. | Summertime – Sam Cooke, 1957 | |
| 5. | Sleepwalk – Santo & Johnny, 1959 | |
| 6. | Sh-Boom – Crew Cuts, 1954 | |
| 7. | Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis Presley, 1956 | |
| 8. | Little Darlin’ – The Diamonds, 1957 | |
| 9. | School Days – Chuck Berry, 1957 | |
| 10. | When Irish Eyes Are Smiling – Chauncey Olcott, 1913 (later associated with St. Patrick’s Day) |
Click on this to see #11 to #100. I actually know all 100--honestly, every one--and, #100 is 1909's Shine On, Harvest Moon, by Ada Jones and Billy Murray. Billy was particularly productive, for he made perhaps 10,000 records and sold 300 million of them, holding that record in his heyday. I was not born yet, and, yes, that was not the Bill Murray you might know, although he, too, is noted for this 7th evening stretch song that ranks #2 on this list.
Not surprisingly--in that I don't recognize the top two--the all-time best summer songs from Billboard Hot 100,
Click on this for all 100, with #100 being Honky Tonk Woman, The Rolling Stones, 1969.
About #4, Blurred Lines, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams lost a suit by the children of Marvin Gaye that they copied their father's Got to Give it Up. Sounds different enough, but the family received $5 million plus future royalties.
Not surprisingly--in that I don't recognize the top two--the all-time best summer songs from Billboard Hot 100,
- I'll be Missing You Puff Daddy & Faith Evans, 112 1997
- The Boy is Mine Brandy & Monica 1998
- Tossing' and Turnin' Bobby Lewis 1961
- Blurred Lines Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell 2013
- Every Breath You Take The Police 1983
- We Belong Together Mariah Carey 2005
- I Just Want to Be Your Ev'thing Andy Gibb 1977
- When Doves Cry Prince 1984
- Do it for You Bryan Adams 1991
Click on this for all 100, with #100 being Honky Tonk Woman, The Rolling Stones, 1969. About #4, Blurred Lines, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams lost a suit by the children of Marvin Gaye that they copied their father's Got to Give it Up. Sounds different enough, but the family received $5 million plus future royalties.
Bring back any summer memories?
-



No comments:
Post a Comment