As I'm having a hamburger to commemorate the beginning of the football season, let me start with a Wendy's commercial of 35 years ago: WHERE'S THE BEEF? You'll later find out why I start with this commercial.
My wife and I drove to Aloha Stadium for nearly two decades to tailgate before University of Hawaii football games. While this was many times more enjoyable than the game itself, I also remember the sun, heat, sweat, wind, rain and difficulty in holding your plate while drinking some libation. My initial thought was to repeat this process this season by having a meal in the vicinity of my car in the 15 Craigside parking lot before going up to watch the game on TV.
Then, the obvious question was why? So I ordered a take-out hamburger from the 15C dining room and enhanced it in my kitchen, first frying some Japanese wagyu beef fat and searing the hamburger:
The bun came with a lot of cheddar and grilled onions, but I lightly fried the two parts in butter and topped the beef with a whole bunch of stuff:
The french fries were re-fried to make them crisp with some truffle oil:
The first game of the year was Miami versus Florida:
Just as I was halfway through my meal, they kicked off (Florida won, barely):
In particular, have you noticed the beef? This hamburger is so large that residents complain it is too big and hard to eat. Maybe you need to be old to appreciate this.
I poured a slug from that small bottle of Yamazaki Single Malt (the full bottle now costs around $300) into the soup.
As you can see, Pearl's sunbursts are blooming:
The best part of the day was the second game. Hawaii was an 11-point underdog to Arizona. My worry was that we'd get slaughtered by a bigger and faster PAC12 team. There were hints that they were competing for a top spot in their division. You'd think the score should have been 60-10 when our starting quarterback throws four interceptions (there could have been at least seven, but Arizona's defensive backs simply dropped three) and we also lost two fumbles? Mind you, Cole McDonald did complete 29 of 41 for four touchdowns.
However, Freshman Chevan Cordeiro (who was the understudy to Tua Tagovailoa of Alabama, and one of the two favorites to win the Heisman this year) at St. Louis High School, came off the bench at the very end of the third quarter, made no mistakes, and threw a nearly miraculous touchdown for Hawaii to win by seven points.
The final play was particularly dramatic, as Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate was forced to run from the UH 31 with ten seconds left, wove all over the field, and was tackled at the one-yard line when time ran out.
-
Tropical Storm Dorian is projected to attain hurricane strength and roll through the Caribbean islands:
Ocean storm activity in the Atlantic picks up just around this time of the year:
-

















No comments:
Post a Comment