จำนวนการดูหน้าเว็บรวม

วันศุกร์ที่ 13 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2563

YOUTH FISHING IN HAWAII: Sayori and Nostalgia

According to one of the monthly newspapers you pick up for free here and there in Honolulu, its Food of the Month is Sayori.  The thought of this fish brings back fond memories.  

There is a book entitled:  Sayori Fishing:  Fishing for Beginner.  Unfortunately, it is in Japanese and unavailable.

This article says:

Sayori is a sleek, silver fish also known as the Japanese halfbeak for its long and thin protruding lower jaw that extends like a needle. The enticing shiny skin and translucent flesh will fill your mouth with clean and delightful flavors. Sayori's delicate flesh is best enjoyed as sashimi or sushi.

So I was about to launch into a full exposition of this fish.  Then, I thought, I kind of already did this eight years ago, so here instead is this previous posting [with my updated comments in these brackets]:

SATURDAY, MAY 26, 2012


MEMORIES OF FISHING IN HAWAII

Growing up in Kakaako, a fishing village, the ocean was an important part of my childhood.  I can still remember the excitement and sense of achievement of those early days when I today see small swarms of shoreline fishermen catching oama:


 or halalu...:


...during the early summer.  The baby goatfish is oama, about the size of a finger, and, while you still need to clean it, the fish is french fried, so you can eat the whole thing.  When this fish grows up, it is known as a weke, where the local record is 1 l/4 pounds:


The adult halalu is called akule or aji, and at least once a month I go to Tamashiro's and buy the largest one I can find.  [That is until a bone from this fish got stuck in my throat--read about my harrowing experience.]  Here is the local record (Titus Day, 2.03 lbs, East Maui):


Here are my top five personal experiences, most a half century ago [as I think about, make that more than 65 years ago from today]:

1.  The type of fishing I most remember is for sayori in Kewalo Basin.  We chummed the waters with bread and two types of fish came, sayori and stickfish.  The latter was nearly useless, but a half-pound sayori was valued:


Notice it has a beak, on the bottom, and thus is also known as a half-beak.  In those days, we did not even know about the type of sushi where you place the fish on top of the rice.  Today in Japan sayori is a rare and desired fish for sushi.  About that stickfish, it is called a giant needlefish (Shawn Heckler, 15 pounds 12 oz, Kaena Point, Oahu) and has two beaks:


2.  Samoan crab

That lagoon on the Ewa side of Ala Moana Park was particularly productive, as was crabbing from that bridge over the Ala Wai Canal.  No, that is not me, but Skye Manuel, who caught this local record 7 pound - 7 ounce monster on the Windward side just about three years ago:


3.  While I never succeeded in anything that large, something on the order of four pounds, maybe.  I have no photos of my catches, but I feel confident I got close to the following aholehole (Ryan Okino, 2 lbs 1 oz, Puna) off the Hilo coastline:


4  Or, maybe a couple of pounds off this aweoweo (Christopher Kelley, 10 lbs 14 oz, Penguin Banks) from Kauai when I worked in the sugar industry at Kilauea:


5.  I caught a vicious barracuda once, but it was only about a foot long.  Here is the record (Dean Hayashi, 77 pounds, shorecasting off Olawalu, Maui):

-

9 comments:

Unknown said...
I like your post Barracuda is one of the best and delicious fish, but I suppose the population of this are now in a critical stage. 
Rosni said...
Awesome post!!!!!!! Arreic11 is right when she states that this question makes no sense, and then she doesn't do much better. I hope she intended to write "Was this WRITTEN by a first grader?" Good luck.
Mashrafi said...
WOW! I wanted seahorses and found out a lot about them. Yes, you can keep them with marine fish but check for capability and have a plan B for if it doesn't work out. Sea horses prefer by themselves and depending on the breed that big of a tank can scare them!!!!!!!!
Thanks !
:)
Gofran said...
Hawaii is the great place for fishing. Actually, after reading and seeing your post, I get memorized my old fishingmemory. I also love fishing. Barracuda is the best to fish, I like to catch this fish. :)
Globo Surf said...
You catch the biggest ones out there! That crab should be some sort of a record, even outside your local. Thank you so much for sharing this, I have so much appreciation for folks who are just passionate about fishing. Oh, I hope I can get myself a crab even remotely close to the size of yours!
Unknown said...
Excellent post about Dubai Fishing Trips!
Marcle said...
Such a wonderful place and an awesome place to fish. Great photos by the way, makes me want to go there.
Marcle recently posted...how to set up fishing pole
Tamanna khan said...
Very good idea, I like your effective resources, thanks 
Nice blog.. Thanks for sharing your fishing memories..

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: